Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Malenky Slovos - Matterplay
(21-10-2015, 06:00 AM)Andrea Malenky Wrote: Hi Luc... sorry for such a late feedback!
("all work and no play"... Smile
I must confess I was a bit taken aback by the V3, since it's such a different mix than V2 (which I still have on my drive Wink.
So it's hard for me to judge it.. I liked the V2 ("artistically" speaking) as a really alternative and refreshing approach to our original mix.. especially the chaos in the chorus, the drowned double tracked vocals..
As I said at the time I would have just made couple small adjustments: raised a bit the "response" vox, since it was a bit lost (in the call/response vocal pattern on the chorus) and probably added some delay/reverb more to the "hysteria" vox which, on the other hand, stood out as too "well defined", for my taste.

Instead v3 is a whole different beast and, while things are more polished (so possibly better from a mixing perspective), I must confess I like the previous one better Wink
I preferred the way double tracked hi/lo octave vox were used in V2, restrained to just the chorus and meshed in a very "choir"-like way, the big guitar chaos on the chorus, which opened up a lot (while v3 loses energy on the chorus) and the more straight-to-the point old intro Wink)
Again, I'm able to comment only in "subjective/artistic" way, rather than technical.
Technically I'd just say.. the chorus in V3 should rock more Smile)

So, again, I really appreciate that you devoted time and effort to our track.. and consider the above as a really subjective feedback!
cheers
A

Hello Andrea.
Like the track. Very 'Turn on the Bright Lights' and 'Toxicity'. Interpol and System Of A Down respectively. I understand the track has been released already, but who produced it, where and under what conditions. Would be nice to know. Equipment used would be awfully helpful too. If it's okay I'll post my version when finished for some feedback direct from the source; Malenky Slovos. I think it's great that you are actively engaging with the submissions that are being posted. Luc is right, such a good idea and from a learning perspective it couldn't be better to have this platform. Liking the intro Luc. Try a tutorial by Andrew Scheps where he mixes Ziggy Marley from scratch. A lot of great tips concerning parallel compression and vocal reverb and more. It's a bit pricey (£65) but it's worth it Luc.
Plugins are very important too. Waves are superb. Sonnox Oxford too.
A little tip for this song is to either duplicate bass or put it through an Amp via a Send/Return. The Amp being driven a bit harder but you still keep original transients and feel of Bass DI. The drums need parallel compression. Guitars need reverb and widening as well as other tricks. Before I forget, has anyone else been having trouble with the Break Guitar near end?
Take it easy Andrea/Malenky Slovos/Luc
James.
London.
Hi James,
good catch with the "Turn on the bright lights" reference.. it definitely spun in my player a lot at its time and I personally think it kinda influenced Matterplay chorus bass-line.
The track will be part of our upcoming album "Mood Swings".. still in the making.. hopefully out early next year.
In the meantime we have circulated it a bit (youtube and our website www.malenkyslovos.com, soundcloud) as a sample of our current line-up.
Let me know what kind of "Production notes" you'd be interested in and I'll gladly fill in the blanks, especially about recording and pre-production.
If you are interested in the mixing process of the "official" track instead (the one one our website/soundcloud/youtube) the "definitive" guide is Mike Senior (who mixed track) own long article on Sound on Sound, describing the challenges in mixing it. You can get a pdf copy for next to nothing from here http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep15/ar...e-0915.htm)
I'll be curious to listen to your mix Smile
cheers,
Andrea