Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
James May - Hold On You
Hey I'm new here,

my first Mix in my new Homelab.

Mixed with Reaper, and i mostly used the Kramer Tapes Tubes & Transistor Bundle for the mix - HLS Channel, PIE Comp & Tapemachine

For mastering I used a stereo enhancer, Tape Saturation & the "Limiter No6"

Had som trouble with low quality recordings, especially the drums and som balancing Problems with the vocal, i dont know if it sits right. Hope you Enjoy it!

.mp3    James May -Hold On You_Final.mp3 --  (Download: 7.9 MB)

Hmm... did you try flipping the phase of snare track? It seems to give much more body to the sound.
Hey funQ - welcome

Not a bad mix to start with. I'd agree with your assessment that the vox is not sitting right. The raw tracks have two main problem areas making them difficult to mix. The first is plosive energy below 200hz, the other is resonant energy between 200-400hz. You'll need to either use surgical eq or multi-band compression to control.

I'm also hearing a lot of frequency build-up in that lower mid area that seems to be effecting the overall clarity of your mix. It would be worth checking the high pass settings on your vox and guitars plus maybe the bass is resonating around 120hz.

Hope some of this helps.

Cheers, Simon

p.s watch overs on your mp3 conversions......0dbFS limiting works with wav files but the mp3 file that you posted is clipping. Its a well known side effect of converting lossless to lossy formats, especially mp3. Look it up on google. Best to set your limiting to at least -0.5 dbFS or even -1.0 dbFS so when you convert its stays clean....or use a limiter with True Peak (TP) functionality but even then I'd keep it to -0.5dbFS