Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dry Clean Only - Iron Sheik (STMROB Remix)
Not quite as good as jlcgt's one on PureMix Zelab contest but this is the best I can for now.

.mp3    Dry Clean Only - Iron Sheik v4 RX.mp3 --  (Download: 2.87 MB)

I like the delay used on vocals in the intro, but it's quite disturbing when other instruments come. To my taste, vocals could have been clearer. I find them very mid-ranged.

As a drummer, I would have preferred a kick that cuts more through the mix.

Otherwise, the mix is balanced and pretty coherent Smile
(11-08-2015, 08:29 AM)Mandubien Wrote: I like the delay used on vocals in the intro, but it's quite disturbing when other instruments come. To my taste, vocals could have been clearer. I find them very mid-ranged.

As a drummer, I would have preferred a kick that cuts more through the mix.

Otherwise, the mix is balanced and pretty coherent Smile

Thanks for listening. Delay only comes at certain drop lines on the lead vocal (triggered by automation as a send effect), but it may be disturbing especially if you are accustomed to a dryer vocal after numerous listenings of this song. I know I also applied some delay as a send on two backing vocal tracks, this could also be a source of confusion. I'll see what it gives if I cut this delay on BV. As for the kick I tried numerous settings and kept the one I thought was the best to mix with the bass. Maybe I'll try some other adjustments just to see.

Regards
So here is a new one, with more clarity and punch.
I gated the spill on a few drum tracks (toms especially) and added a sample to the kick track. Bass is also treated with two sends (one virtual amp and one for sub) and then the original and the two aux are mixed in a single bus. Guitars were also tweaked.

.mp3    Dry Clean Only - Iron Sheik v5.mp3 --  (Download: 2.87 MB)