Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leaf - stoman's mix
Here is how I hear this song. Old-fashioned, as usual.

.mp3    Wicked__20150804_01.mp3 --  (Download: 4.28 MB)

.mp3    Wicked__20150804_02.mp3 --  (Download: 4.28 MB)

.mp3    Wicked__20150806_01.mp3 --  (Download: 4.27 MB)

For me the guitar arpeggios are a little thin and forward relative to the vocals in the verses, but the choruses are better. Lots of the time verses are your opportunity to bring the vocals a little further forward and intimate. Maybe ease up on the verb/delay in the verses and turn her up a little.

The kick is a little absent at times and the mix could use just a bit more low end as a whole in my opinion.

Other than those though, I don't really have any complaints. I'm grooving to the music so you're not far off the mark.

Keep them coming.

BB
Thanks, BB!

Actually the verses are a little drier than the choruses, and also a tad more upfront. Maybe not quite as much as we are used to nowadays, but I really don't want to sound modern at all. However, I'll let it sit a while, and in a couple of days I'll revisit the mix with your suggestions in mind. I usually need a little distance before I can really judge my own mixes and do the necessary fine-tuning.

Yeah, it's a classic sounding mix. There's still quite a market for that... think Fleet Foxes and Bon Iver. Good stuff, Stoman.
I just did some small tweaks.