Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ill Fate -- TroyG Mix
Having a hard time getting the song loud, but I don't think it needs to be. Just turn up your speakers and tell me what you think!

.mp3    hollow.mp3 --  (Download: 2.26 MB)

final mix. The last one I think had to much bass, and not enough center sound! Tell me what you think.

.mp3    HOLLOW_2.mp3 --  (Download: 2.22 MB)

I don't listen to such music, so I cannot tell if it's typical for the genre, but I think you did a good job in that the mix does not hurt my ears. Everything sounds balanced and solid to me.
The guitars could be more aggressive. Much, much more - and I don't mean louder. It's the wrong kind of distortion/amp and I would expect a more brutal, distorted tone.

And I don't know why you didn't mix the whole song? =) Compare your mix with my mix and you'll hear what I mean =)

http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...p?tid=5113
While your mix lacks the aggression of a lot of the other mixes on here, the balence of the instruments for a conventional rock sound is there. Like Blitzzz said, the guitars need a more biting aggressive distortion. What files did you use for the guitars, the DI files or the mic'ed amp files. If you did use the DI files, try reamping them with a hi gain amp emulation like a JCM 800, 5150, or Dual Rectifier. Also adding some high mids around 4.5-6 Khz will give you a more piercing, upfront sound. Adding a bit of fuzz or distortion to the bass guitar helps as well. On the mix buss adding some subtle compression will help you tie all the instruments in the mix together and will reinforce the sound of the mix. For reference here is a song by the band Counterparts, listen to the guitar and bass tones and how they blend with each other and try basing your mix on that idea. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spgvPqhYjzU
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Thanks man. I didn't use the DI files. I rolled off the guitars around 8k. Sometimes that fizz sound hurts my ears, which is probably why I didn't add a lot. I aggree with what you're saying about the guitars to be more up front in the mix. This was just a 2 hour mix, and my ears got tired! I try the tips you mentioned! Peace,

Troy