Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It Was My Fault For Waiting
Hey guys, new member here. I decided to give Atlantis Bound's "It Was My Fault for Waiting" a try as I just found this place and want to practice. I think this is my 4th attempt working with live drums (full trap). Really dug the arrangement... lots of moving bits.

Not without some challenges, the first 6 hours or so I was building from the drums up, and by the time I started getting the guitars together, everything fell apart sonically, so I ditched the whole mess and started fresh from the piano section and meandered my way down. I think this was more successful and I'm happy with the outcome.

Mastering might be a titch hot, but man, some of my reference materials were just pinned (notably, Lacuna Coil was pinned...) So it's maybe a bit hot (-10RMS) but I think that's reasonable given the nature of the material.

Other general notes, gating the toms on the way in provided a bit of a challenge, and I'm still not entirely happy with the guitars at the end (loved the solo tones, but would have liked to have them continue on the way out, just playing some thickening... they left a hole in the mix when they left).

Anyways, I'd love some criticism. Comments welcome. Smile

Hi everyone!

Oh, this was all done in-the-box in Studio One V2 and I didn't add any samples or anything.

.mp3    Atlantis Bound - It Was My Fault For Waiting.mp3 --  (Download: 9.28 MB)

Shaved 2 dB off that guitar wash and added a titch of NY compression. Cleans things up a bit.

.mp3    01 - Atlantis Bound - It Was My Fault For Waiting.mp3 --  (Download: 9.28 MB)

Wow, sounds rather good. I like the drums and bass, seem to hit nicely, kick and snare are good.
The snare sounds so different I thought you layered or swapped it, but just caught your footnote... good eq job!

I do like the rhythm guitars you have got them quite in your face, wich is what I was trying to do but couldn't quite manage.

Sounds really balanced Smile
Thanks SV7107!

Yeah, I really wrestled with the snare. That particular track kept going up and down in my mixes because I couldn't seem to get it to fit just quite right; either it was too buried or it was too loud. My final EQs were some bumps at 600 for body and 1.8 for attack, and then making it very toppy (some pretty heavy-handed high-shelving) before some heavy compression and some lengthening reverb.

Thank you for the feedback! Big Grin
Yup I feel ya! Snare was trouble for me too. I think I will try a little bit of volume automation.

Your snare has a good body to it. Bit lower end smack than my attempt. Thanks for pointing out the top/bottom thing Cool