Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Piece of Me (ixnas' mix)
Hi

I don't mix metal music that often, so I thought I'd put myself to the test to see if I could pull of a pretty common metal mix. I think I did pretty well.

I used just stock PT11 plugins, and the mic'd tracks, not the samples.

As a reference CD, I used Alter Bridge's Fortress.

Tell me what you think Smile

EDIT: Piece of ME_2.mp3 is the new one. I changed a lot of stuff for the better I think Smile

.mp3    Piece of Me (final mix).mp3 --  (Download: 10.37 MB)

.mp3    Piece of ME_2.mp3 --  (Download: 12.23 MB)

Hello! I have to tell you that I like very much your job here!! There are only 2 things that I think you should take a look at.
1) The kick is very nice treated and punchy enough but it is a little too high in the mix. I would like to hear it some dbs lower.
2) There is something wrong with your bass. I think is too heavy at the area around 100-150Hz. That's making your mix a little boomy.
That's all I hear on my system, I believe you have done an amazing job! Bravo!!
Thanks for your input!

I always subconsciously put the kick a notch too high in the mix Tongue

The bass was really recorded without much low end, so I found myself relying a lot on that frequency area, which was probably not the best idea.
Hey it's ok. But this is a metal song. That means everything that someone expects to hear is a midrange thing and nothing more. So you have to take it in mind and treat your bass guitar in that way.
You can listen to some other modern metal songs or bands and see what I mean. Most of the times a rock or metal bass guitar eq is to boost the 50-60Hz some dBs and the 1 or 2 kHz much more plus an overdrive or distortion. You can test if your bass guitar sounds good just soloing it with the guitars and listen them together. If you listen one massive thing and clear enough then you are in the right way! Hope I help Smile