Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Come Around Mix
I'm new to this site hope you review my mix and please give your comments - Thank You - Rahken

.mp3    Come Around Master -4 MP3.mp3 --  (Download: 9.41 MB)

Greetings and welcome!

I like the use of chorus on the panned guitars in your version. For some reason treating them with something interesting like that never occurred to me.
You have also made sense of the tangle of frequencies of all the other guitars that come in during the chorus which I found really challenging. Good stuff!

The only things I can offer at this stage are that I found the bass to be too low in mix and the lead vocal a touch too loud, but this second point could just be my own personal taste, so feel free to use your freedom of choice to leave it where it is in the mix Smile
The bass is a tricky beast in this song. Lots of variable "power" across the notes being played. Xabix gave me some good advice in that applying lots of compression and associated makeup gain will help this instrument sit well in the mix.
There's a lot of instrument channel noise at the end of the song that needs to be cleaned up. I think it is in the guitars and bass channels from memory. Unfortunately as a mix engineer you're likely to be faced with noisy tracks from time to time but it pays to take a little time to clean it up, especially where it is obvious. The good thing is that all it takes is fading out the channels when the instrument stops playing at the end of the song to make the mix sound better Smile

I also like the choice of reverb you have on the snare. What did you use? It sounds like a medium plate but its hard to tell.

Hope that this has been of some help to you.
Dags
So many songs, so little time!
Thank You for your comments on this mix-
Bass - the bass volume is the average of three different mix volumes, I come from a jazz background where the bass level is kept moderate.
Lead Vox - This is a average too.
Snare Reverb - Yes it was a plate from the UAD ENT 140 plugin with a lot of adjustments.
*sigh* I dream of being able to afford the UAD PCI-e processor or FireWire box. Using mostly Logic stock plugins and a couple of Waves plugins from the 2 V8 bundles I own.

Buy a lottery ticket for me Big Grin

Dags
So many songs, so little time!
Loto - Don't believe in it but I saved a LOT of pennies to get it. Thank for your comments I'm going to try them.