Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jules King - Never Stop
This is my try on the song. Hope you enjoy. feedbacks are always welcome

.mp3    Jules King - Never Stop2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.68 MB)

You are very close to get a great mix here. I think the mix can benefit from lowering the bass just a little bit (great sound, by the way) and also less brightness on the hihats. Especially in the beginning is very noticeable because the guitars and synths are the ones to give warmth to the song.
mixing since April 2013
(18-07-2015, 09:44 AM)juanjose1967 Wrote: You are very close to get a great mix here. I think the mix can benefit from lowering the bass just a little bit (great sound, by the way) and also less brightness on the hihats. Especially in the beginning is very noticeable because the guitars and synths are the ones to give warmth to the song.

Thanks for your reply JuanJose1967.

I agree with you on the Hi's. I think my common problem is Dynamics in general. I really suck at mixing bas. I've tried to understand the dynamics between the Lows. (or as i call it groove section) I try to mix bas and kick together as one. Meaning that bas and kick are the only instruments that are allowed under 90Hz. kick with low shelf at 60-75hz/5k high shelf and bass around 80-110Hz/1-1,8k band. My bas spectrum ends up looking like a letter M.

Could you give my any adwise on How to think about bas when i Mix? (Where to put it, Aux use, ect...)

I also think that I lack the use of delays in general. (Just to create more Space) Just started reading the dalay chapter in "The Art Of Mixing" to create more dynamic in my mixes.

Thanks for your reply- Jonn D. Horn : )
Hi, John!

great idea about reading The Art of Mixing. That's how I started two years ago and even now, I find myself reading certain chapters once in a while since there's always good information available there.

I cannot tell you 'the secret recipe' to mix kick and bass because it depends always on the tracks you're working with, but I can give you a couple of ways to mix them:

1: kick and bass sidechain: you place a compressor to the bass track and you sidechain the kick to it, so everytime the kick hits, it will lower the bass leaving room for both sounds to interact together. You can watch this video where it's explained quite well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR1tDwl0r5k

2: another way is by finding a frequency you like in the kick and also, a frequency you like in the bass. Many times I find that around 90hz on kicks and around 120 in basses (it depends on the kick and bass sounds, of course). Then I notch out the kick's frequency I like from the bass, and also the bass' frequency from the kick. So they can both live together alright in the lower part of the spectrum. Check trick number one here (I just found out that their number two trick is the one I explained to you before):

http://music.tutsplus.com/tutorials/2-si...udio-11557

About delay for the bass, I always use a mono delay centered. Just remember that kick, bass and their reverb or delays should stay centered for a better result (don't spread them out. That's for other frequencies). For delays and reverbs I don't apply them directly on the track but on an auxiliary track. It's called a send-return effect in the book you're reading. So you can have more control of the sound. For basses I prefer to use delays rather than reverbs because they don't mud the mix as much as a reverb and especially on the difficult lower frequencies.

I hope I could help you with my hints Smile

mixing since April 2013
Hey Jonn, nice mix, drums sound great and love the way they come in. I think juanjose is right about the high end and bass guitar, fix those and it's a great mix. Choruses sound more energetic than other mixes I've heard, well done because there's not a lot to work with in the original tracks.
(18-07-2015, 03:28 PM)juanjose1967 Wrote: Hi, John!

great idea about reading The Art of Mixing. That's how I started two years ago and even now, I find myself reading certain chapters once in a while since there's always good information available there.

I cannot tell you 'the secret recipe' to mix kick and bass because it depends always on the tracks you're working with, but I can give you a couple of ways to mix them:

1: kick and bass sidechain: you place a compressor to the bass track and you sidechain the kick to it, so everytime the kick hits, it will lower the bass leaving room for both sounds to interact together. You can watch this video where it's explained quite well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR1tDwl0r5k

2: another way is by finding a frequency you like in the kick and also, a frequency you like in the bass. Many times I find that around 90hz on kicks and around 120 in basses (it depends on the kick and bass sounds, of course). Then I notch out the kick's frequency I like from the bass, and also the bass' frequency from the kick. So they can both live together alright in the lower part of the spectrum. Check trick number one here (I just found out that their number two trick is the one I explained to you before):

http://music.tutsplus.com/tutorials/2-si...udio-11557

About delay for the bass, I always use a mono delay centered. Just remember that kick, bass and their reverb or delays should stay centered for a better result (don't spread them out. That's for other frequencies). For delays and reverbs I don't apply them directly on the track but on an auxiliary track. It's called a send-return effect in the book you're reading. So you can have more control of the sound. For basses I prefer to use delays rather than reverbs because they don't mud the mix as much as a reverb and especially on the difficult lower frequencies.

I hope I could help you with my hints Smile

Thanks man! Great Stuff Smile

(12-08-2015, 07:56 AM)manuke Wrote: Hey Jonn, nice mix, drums sound great and love the way they come in. I think juanjose is right about the high end and bass guitar, fix those and it's a great mix. Choruses sound more energetic than other mixes I've heard, well done because there's not a lot to work with in the original tracks.

Hay Manuke! Thanks for the kind words! I actually "stole" that Crash Cymbol from listening to your mix Big Grin It gave the drums "that extra" But you are right... the HI's are too bright. It hurts my ears when I'm listening hehe. But great choice you made yourself by moving those Cymbals Smile
(14-08-2015, 07:58 PM)Jonn D. Horn Wrote:
(12-08-2015, 07:56 AM)manuke Wrote: Hey Jonn, nice mix, drums sound great and love the way they come in. I think juanjose is right about the high end and bass guitar, fix those and it's a great mix. Choruses sound more energetic than other mixes I've heard, well done because there's not a lot to work with in the original tracks.

Hay Manuke! Thanks for the kind words! I actually "stole" that Crash Cymbol from listening to your mix Big Grin It gave the drums "that extra" But you are right... the HI's are too bright. It hurts my ears when I'm listening hehe. But great choice you made yourself by moving those Cymbals Smile

*My HI's are too bright