Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't Let The Devil Take Your Mind - AZ Mix
Well, I liked the other Jackie Greene tune so much I decided it was time to come back and give the other one a try. Wasn't expecting a live performance but that just made it more interesting!

I had a little trouble getting everything to settle in but otherwise, I'm pretty happy. Give it a listen. Oh, and for the sake of interest, I'll mention that I made very little attempt to remove spill other than dealing with particular problem frequencies such as bass and kick thump.

Comments are most welcome!

(Oh, and here's a tip... DON'T do what I did and add in that little gap. I think it works really well and I'm quite satisfied with the way it turned out but man it was HARD to make it transparent!)

.mp3    DontLetTheDevil.mp3 --  (Download: 14.64 MB)

Old West Audio
Good Balance and like the vocal effects,can hear some muddy mid bass resonances around 200-300 could be the organ.
On my monitors missing some top end like a couple db shelf boost 1k up and a some air in the 10k area Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Yeah, I noticed that the ressonnance this morning. Pretty sure it's the bass. It's possible the high end is off. Just rebalanced my monitors and discovered that there are a couple of particular problems in my room I am not going to be able to work around. (Aren't there always?)
Old West Audio
Okay, so I made some tweaks here, especially in the bass. This ought to sound much better.

.mp3    DontLetTheDevil-v2.mp3 --  (Download: 14.64 MB)

Old West Audio
(19-07-2015, 01:26 AM)azwayne Wrote: Okay, so I made some tweaks here, especially in the bass. This ought to sound much better.

Bass sounds better ,listening on headphones will listen on monitors laterBig Grin .

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

This is a really good studio mix of a live performance. It's well balanced and the EQ sounds very even. But as I mentioned to another member, this is live. In my opinion it should sound live and full of energy. While this mix is very smooth and would make a great album version, it's lost the energy of the original performance. Try backing off of the compression a bit to open it back up some. Maybe add a little boost around 5k (1-1.5 db tops with a relatively narrow Q) and a shelf of 1 - 2 db above 6k. I think then you will hear the "live" come back to your mix.
So you're saying you feel it needs to be a just titch brighter and could do with more air... Meh... It's possible. Would likely have to put a little 8kHz notch in the overheads though or I think them cymbals would get out of control quickly since this track already has a good deal of that in it, thanks to an above average recording.
Old West Audio