Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JJ Cinnerman: Never Say Goodbye_mix Tommy Marcinek
Angel

Loved doing this. I did take some liberties in arranging and mixing this one, however. You will notice that I replaced the bass (brought the acoustic bass part into Melodyne editor and then saved as a midi file, then imported back, and used Scarbee electric bass. I really felt that the bass needed to be electric here because the drums have such a "rock" sound. I know it's drastic to do that but I feel it really works. To the artist JJ Cinnerman: It is still YOUR bass part (with a few notes changed) only it's now electric. I also added some cymbal rolls and sound-replaced the kick. Everything else is derived from the tracks. Also, I changed the intro a bit...borrowed the guitar from another section of the song. I felt the intro needed a bit more excitement since the rest of the song builds up so nicely. I pretended I was the producer here. Sorry to JJ if I went a bit too far. Overall, though, I am very happy with the end result. What say you'all?

Tom

.mp3    Never Say Goodbye_14_Mastered.mp3 --  (Download: 12.6 MB)

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
(12-07-2015, 01:29 AM)tjmtruth Wrote: You will notice that I replaced the bass (brought the acoustic bass part into Melodyne editor and then saved as a midi file, then imported back, and used Scarbee electric bass.

My honest opinion:
Although the bass replacement approach is good, I have the feeling this version is getting too bass-electric (just my taste though). Long bass notes sound a little weird for the distortion/flanging that doesn't match 100% with the acoustic (sorry I can't explain better).
It's anyway giving me the idea to blend electric and double bass, that I may try in my next round.
The electric bass tends to disappear or be a tad weak on the kick and floor tom.
Floor tom (or tom 2 - can't remember) is may be a little too loud and with a longer tail - not that it's not appropriate - but I hear it unbalanced with respect to tom 1.

I would also suggest to sweeten the rim shot at the beginning that sounds very dry also on cans.

Despite these little details... I have a very good impression of the overall mix result. I like it. Well done!
cheers
"... I'm listening. Yes."
from Switzerland
(21-07-2015, 10:16 PM)Lammy Wrote:
(12-07-2015, 01:29 AM)tjmtruth Wrote: You will notice that I replaced the bass (brought the acoustic bass part into Melodyne editor and then saved as a midi file, then imported back, and used Scarbee electric bass.

My honest opinion:
Although the bass replacement approach is good, I have the feeling this version is getting too bass-electric (just my taste though). Long bass notes sound a little weird for the distortion/flanging that doesn't match 100% with the acoustic (sorry I can't explain better).
It's anyway giving me the idea to blend electric and double bass, that I may try in my next round.
The electric bass tends to disappear or be a tad weak on the kick and floor tom.
Floor tom (or tom 2 - can't remember) is may be a little too loud and with a longer tail - not that it's not appropriate - but I hear it unbalanced with respect to tom 1.

I would also suggest to sweeten the rim shot at the beginning that sounds very dry also on cans.

Despite these little details... I have a very good impression of the overall mix result. I like it. Well done!
cheers

Lammy,

Thanks for your input. I wanted to go back in there and correct some things...many of the things you observed. You have a good ear my friend. I hope I can find the time to do it....working on my own music right now. Working on a Latin Jazz tune right now. These mixes that are provided here, however, are amazing. I mean, these are real projects....opportunities to learn....love this site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek