Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Come Around - mix by Dags
Hi Dags,

I just listened to V3. It sounds good. Smile The one thing you might want to reevaluate is the sonic difference and distance between kick and snare. I can imagine that the snare might have a bit more bottom and the kick a bit more midrange. As they sound at the moment, they sound as if they would come from total different families.

Regarding the loud mixes - I don't think that mine are that loud. I just do a bit of mastering afterwards Wink But yes, a bit of compression here, followed by a bit of compression there, leading to a bit of compression further down the road is a big part of my mixing.

Cheers and keep up the good work
Artbass
Thanks for the feedback, Artbass, and the encouragement. It's really hard to know when enough is enough and when I should keep tweaking...usually fatigue kicks in before I get weary of the actual mixing process and trying out different things.

I'll have another listen to what I have done on the kick and snare for this track. It's really hard to change one without affecting the other in the supplied stereo mix of drums.

I'm wresting with 'Much Too Much' at the moment. Can't get the blend of all the brass right and the snare being picked up by every mic in the room is doing my head in with how I should approach lessening the large, wet room effect it is having on the sound....or do I just leave it and make everything sound wetter? Choices, choices! Smile

Dags
So many songs, so little time!
(27-03-2013, 01:45 AM)Dags Wrote: I'm wresting with 'Much Too Much' at the moment. Can't get the blend of all the brass right and the snare being picked up by every mic in the room is doing my head in with how I should approach lessening the large, wet room effect it is having on the sound....or do I just leave it and make everything sound wetter?

Not sure if you've seen it, but there are some general tips and a link to my write-up of this mix here.
(23-03-2013, 05:24 PM)Dags Wrote: LOL! No prizes to the person who correctly guesses what time it is as I attempt uploading version 3 Tongue

I pulled out a couple of quite severe fixes for the wayward bass in this song including pulling out a pile of frequencies using multiple EQ scoops, two (count 'em - two) optical-type compressors to keep all the levels under control, a bitcrusher for parallel distortion *and* a compressor to duck the bass when the kick comes in (thanks for pointing that out, Xabi!!)

I also attempted getting my track a bit louder than my other ones (Gadget and Artbass have set my benchmark for good sounding loud mixes based on the ones I have listened to so far) using a couple of compressors set at different thresholds to gently bring the peaks under control then a limiter to stop overs. So apologies to the listener in advance if the first notes startle you when the song starts.

Xabi, thanks again so very much for taking the time to listen to the first two attempts and providing me with such detailed and helpful feedback as to what I should be looking to do to improve the mix(es) of the song. This is *exactly* what I have been needing to encourage me to delve further into getting the best from what I have available to me. Up until learning about the existence of this forum I haven't had anyone to help identify the flaws I need to focus on fixing when my attention is usually on another part of the song Smile

Righty-o - off to bed! Sleepy

Dags
lo fi effect sounds good. nice overall sounding on all the instruments.