Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dino on the Loose - 'Queens Light' EL mix
Here's my mix, a fairly straight one.

Thanks to peacesound and Xabi for posting tips on how to approach this multitrack.

I have mastered it a bit loud, - 7 Integrated LUFS, I'm sorry if that makes comparisons difficult but I think it suits the style of music. What do you think?

.mp3    Dino_On_The_Loose -- EL mix v1 MST.mp3 --  (Download: 11.37 MB)

Hi Hamish

Well, i listened to your mix and wanted to tell you how interesting i find your approach, nothing to see with mine.

I'm not fan of the stereo chorus effect on the bass intro, but it's a matter of taste... Be aware that it almost disappears in mono !
Your snare is a bit ringing at a certain frequency.. i'd say around 500hz... and lacks of definition in the center of the mix, it's like it's on the sides... feels strange...
Maybe your kick could be much louder, to match the bass balance ?

I love your guitar solo sound, how did you manage it ? i really like it's clarity and dynamic control (it has huge dynamic when recorded).

Maybe some synth parts are too loud (at 4'00" ...) and some are too low ...

Good balance, but you should, if i may, work on crucial point like kick and snare, to make a solid base for the rest to gravitate around.

Let's go for a V2 ?

PS:master is at a relative good level for my taste, yes it's loud, but it doesn't squash everything.
Hi Xabi, thanks for the 'constructives'.

I'll also talk about the post on your thread where you talked about 'long term dynamics'.

You are so right there, your careful automation has really paid off as well. This is another thing that makes your mix really good.

RE- Drums, well I guess I might dig around for some kick samples I can layer but that's another day.

The thing is, if I'm doing a 'V2' mix, I'm really going to go further into my ideas for this song.

Maybe you noticed how I had the 'cheesy' synth lead line up a LOT higher than your or most other mixes. I put it right centre, but I picked up on the 'beat synced' theme of that other synth line that you mentioned, with tempo synced panning. I put tempo synced LPF on the buzzy or 'cheesy' part to make it more interesting.

So in short, my next version will move further away from 'straight' and more into beat synced effects. Except for the eP and Guitar solos, which I believe should be kept as 'Vintage' as possible.

Cheers,
Hamish

I had a go at pimping the kick drum with a synth. It's kind of exaggerated. I used a demo of 'RADIAN' by xoxos. I used an LPF right down to about 100 Hz because I didn't want the attack, and this cut out the demo version hiss too.

.mp3    Dino_On_The_Loose -- EL mix v2 - Synth Kick.mp3 --  (Download: 11.37 MB)

Hello ...

I confirm... it's a "little" exagerated Smile