Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Never Stop - manuke mix
Got the virtual razorblade out.

.mp3    julesmixmp.mp3 --  (Download: 5.33 MB)

This Has got to be the best version I've heard so far . Nice drums man!
very good mix, nice balance and fantastic vocal effect! good work!!
mixing since April 2013
Jonn, thanks for that. Just heard your great drums so thanks for the compliment, spent a lot of time on them.
juanjose, thanks for having a listen, good to get your feedback.
I like the energy and vibe of your mix.

Really good work!
Hey manuke. Lots to like about your mix and agree with all comments that the drums sound great and I think you've done a good job bringing life to the choruses.

Couple of thoughts sprung to mind as I was listening. 1) for me, I think the intro is too long. Using the razor blade is effective and the idea behind building dynamic progression as the song moves forwards is a valid one .... but we're having to wait for almost a full minute before the drums kick in....obviously respect your artistic vision but I'm not convinced its an improvement on the original arrangement that sort of did the same thing but in half the time. 2) From a technical standpoint, the bass has a booming resonance around 120-130hz that probably needs some surgical EQ to bring it under control.

Love the detail you've put into the vox FX too - enjoyed listening to it.

Cheers,

Simon

Andy, thanks mate, good to get your feedback.
Simon, thanks for having a listen. Your first point is a valid one, really not a fan of the drum programming on this, spent ages editing them but just decided to drop them at the start, then thought the bass wasn't happening either....can't help myself sometimes. And point #2, yeah, me and low mids don't get along too well. Thanks for your feedback.
(17-08-2015, 06:38 AM)manuke Wrote: Andy, thanks mate, good to get your feedback.
Simon, thanks for having a listen. Your first point is a valid one, really not a fan of the drum programming on this, spent ages editing them but just decided to drop them at the start, then thought the bass wasn't happening either....can't help myself sometimes. And point #2, yeah, me and low mids don't get along too well. Thanks for your feedback.

I think its good to experiment with arrangements so good on you ...its a good skill to develop.... Its probably one of my weaknesses.....I just mix what I get given and never really think about changing it

Well, your mixes sound great so keep on doing what you do! But for me, deleting stuff is my first move, if I can't tell what a track's supposed to be there for, it goes. Especially on rock tunes that have eight or ten guitars playing similar stuff, just get too confused otherwise. Like the loops in this one, tried working with them a little, but I knew they detracted from the laid back feel [imho] so they went. Actually chopped out a whole section of this tune cos I thought the song was too long. Just doing what I think serves the song really, and this one was sorely in need of some dynamics, if I was getting paid, wouldn't dream of it of course. I remember Dave Pensado talking about getting a song with 11 hihat tracks, he deleted 10 of them and when the client heard the mix said something like 'Hihats sound great, what did you do?'
(17-08-2015, 09:37 AM)manuke Wrote: I remember Dave Pensado talking about getting a song with 11 hihat tracks, he deleted 10 of them and when the client heard the mix said something like 'Hihats sound great, what did you do?'

Classic! LMAO Big Grin