Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Tiring Mix: A different take on it.
Hello All,

This is my mix of Tiring.

I took some liberty's(hope the songwriter doesn't mind) with how the song was built ( changing the into ,bringing parts in later etc..) just wondering if The song builds okay?

As for the mix.I think this was the first time i didn't have a verb aux on a mix.For the drums i just used the room mics and some supplied drum FX tracks in sections for the verb for them. hopefully the mix isn't to dry.

I'm thinking the mix is missing something ,but just can't put my finger on it, Any help much appreciated.

Thanks for the time and thoughts!

.mp3    Raftmonk Tiring.mp3 --  (Download: 7.6 MB)

darn it.....now i've gotta mix this!

i like your take on it. i think there's a couple of things going on here that's working against you. one is excess. if you downmix to mono (and then play it back over one speaker only to avoid phase messing you around) you'll hear the issue straight away. i think you need to get more aggressive on what you take out, and what you leave. it always seems easier to mix in stereo for stereo, but this only encourages panning to avoid masking. but nobody ever listens in the sweet spot so what we end up hearing is the accumulative output from both speakers all mashed up in the room. EQ ruthlessly here and check for clarity in mono and i think you'll begin to find what you are missing.

there's something else this mix is lacking - excitement. your treble region is sitting very comfortably, well done for the pleasant ride, but i'd think about working the spectrum more, but perhaps a lot of that will come from clearing the mix of excess material.

i'm kinda missing punch and dynamics which is perhaps causing a loss of emotion too? perhaps you've been compressing stuff a little more in order to retain some clarity in the instruments? that would be valid strategy in a busy mix for sure, but i'm thinking this mix wouldn't need it if you can clear out some excess. hmmmmm, i keep coming back to the excess again, don't i.

wotduyafink?

PS: i have issues with drums from the drummer's perspective....because i'm in the audience and it looks silly on TV or when i close my eyes and engage in the illusion of space Big Grin
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
Hello Metallurgist, First off thanks for the time and thoughts.

' Wrote:darn it.....now i've gotta mix this!
Looking forward to your spin on this tune.I found it a challenge with a lot of the tracks being somewhat in the same freq range.

' Wrote:i think there's a couple of things going on here that's working against you. one is excess. if you downmix to mono (and then play it back over one speaker only to avoid phase messing you around) you'll hear the issue straight away.i think you need to get more aggressive on what you take out, and what you leave. it always seems easier to mix in stereo for stereo, but this only encourages panning to avoid masking. but nobody ever listens in the sweet spot so what we end up hearing is the accumulative output from both speakers all mashed up in the room. EQ ruthlessly here and check for clarity in mono and i think you'll begin to find what you are missing.

This is something i struggle with.I think its from when i use to write a lot.I would write a lot of parts and try to fit them in before i got into trying to mix.As for working in mono,I did go back and forth between mono and stereo whilst mixing this song ,but yes too many parts in the same register got the best of me and started to cloud the mix up.I will try too work in mono more and listen to see how things are stacking up and also looking at the muting of tracks not adding anything to the overall mix. It is a juggling act for me when i feel certain parts need to be in the mix,but because of how it was tracked i just try to EQ it the best i can.

' Wrote:there's something else this mix is lacking - excitement. your treble region is sitting very comfortably, well done for the pleasant ride, but i'd think about working the spectrum more, but perhaps a lot of that will come from clearing the mix of excess material.

I always equated excitement to how the song went from section to section layering parts in leading up to the chorus for the pay-off.
I Would be interested in hearing more on this.
' Wrote:i'm kinda missing punch and dynamics which is perhaps causing a loss of emotion too? perhaps you've been compressing stuff a little more in order to retain some clarity in the instruments? that would be valid strategy in a busy mix for sure, but i'm thinking this mix wouldn't need it if you can clear out some excess. hmmmmm, i keep coming back to the excess again, don't i.

I will go back and check on somethings.I tried not over-compressing things too much ,but maybe with revisiting my part choices will open up something.I did have problem working with the vocals and music at times. The vocals have that subdued feel though out and the music has that up lifting feel at times. Is that what you are taking about?

Also, Some one mentioned it needed a darker vibe instead of an angry one. More industrial, less metal.What is your thoughts on this?

' Wrote:PS: i have issues with drums from the drummer's perspective....because i'm in the audience and it looks silly on TV or when i close my eyes and engage in the illusion of space Big Grin

The PS thing; Well,I take it that you aren't a air drummer then. Just kidding.
You have a valid point...,but yes there is always a but.I dont think i have ever heard a average listener say you know what the song sounds good,but the drums are backwards.I find the more i get into mixing its something i read more about on mixing forums.I find the same talk about LCR mixing.I'll start listening more for how many mixes use the audience perspective as opposed to the drummers perspective.As For me, I'll try it on my next mix tho.IT should be interesting retraining my ears too mix in that Lt hand drummer perspective ,but again i don't think the average person focuses in on it.I always enjoy reading your posts on things.
AS i said in a PM to you a while back " You know your stuff" thanks again!