Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bill Chudziak - 'Children of No-one' mix
Here's my mix of this song. Great tracks to work with, nicely recorded Smile Got myself into a bit of a twist at one stage, just using the wrong plugins, just wasn't sounding good, had to undo a fair bit and try another 'path'. Quite happy about the end result now, but I'm sure people will find things to point out! Not sure how well I've gone with combining era-authenticity with modern mixing....

Cheers guys Smile

.mp3    Children Of No-one-Mix 01-Audiomuze.mp3 --  (Download: 8.49 MB)

Disclaimer, it's late where I live so I'm on the cans. Listening as I type:

Intro sounds great, great blend of FX and lead guitars. Very appropriate to my ears.

The vocal sounds a bit distant and obscured by the guitars on occasion in the choruses, maybe a little wet relative to the other elements. Reducing the level of the long hall(?) reverb across the mix would result in improved clarity if that's your aim, but also a more modern sound. For me it makes sense to add or increase the level of a short ambience reverb relative to the longer verb for improved blending without losing the great sense of space.

I think your mix would improve from some level automation on key elements, like the lead guitar starting around 2:40 and the occasional obscured vocal.

Very few complaints, though... I see subtle opportunities for improvement in additional level automation/compression on lead elements for more presence, and some pruning of the frequency content in your ambience/reverb/delays to open up the mix a bit. Perhaps a bit more of an aggressive bite would suit the emotion of the piece as well, but that's subjective. A great sound overall. Thanks for sharing.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Thanks Pauli, really appreciate your comments, and yes, you've picked up on some good points. Will have a fiddle with those things. Part of me always feels a bit reluctant to do in-detail automation when it's time I'm not being paid for, but it's worth doing.

Cheers,
Chris.
Hi Chris !
I like the overall sound you have achieved on of my favorite versions,Agree with Pauli's detailed observations which i have to also sort out on a remix !
Listening on Monitors and Headphones ,If you Decide to Have Another Play Around With This Tricky Mix ,Maybe a touch more bottom end definition with the bass and kick as can hear the bass guitar a little overpowering in the 160hz area a narrow Q parametric - 3-4 db would fix and a touch more top end on the snare.
Great Job Big Grin !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(24-06-2015, 02:31 AM)Audiomuze Wrote: Great tracks to work with, nicely recorded

it sounds like you've over compressed everything; it's suffocating.

might be a good idea to revisit your compressors and back them right off....or even ask yourself if compression was necessary? there's no attack here. the whole thing is pumping about all over the place which might point towards a dodgy stereo buss.

without hearing the mix on it's own, it's difficult to be of any assistance.

i'd have preferred some kind of change in the transitions between verse and chorus. they kind of passed me by sonically in the form of a solid lump, so to speak?

you need to differentiate the kick from the bass guitar...they are toughing it out around the fundamental. actually, i'd revisit the low-mids with a view to getting better clarity here. the tracking of the guitars was super and we had a lot of opportunity to blend them to good effect without bloat.

if you flick the mix to mono, it totally collapses....that's masking.

there's a lot of distortion going on here too....i don't think the song needs degrading to this extent! perhaps that's a subjective opinion Wink

lots to do....but looking forward to the revision, this is a nice song to indulge in. i think you need to immerse yourself in the emotion and focus your attention on keeping it going Big Grin

this thing's clipping it's butt off too, eh?

i'm struggling to find some good things to say...sorry. but keep your chin up, yeah?

catch ya laters..

Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
well hell... now my curiosity is piqued and I'm gonna have to remix this one as well.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Version 2. I've reworked a few things, particularly compression, low mids, and bass/kick frequencies, also pulled out lower frequencies of effects, looked at automated levels, tried to get a sense of choruses being a bit more 'noticeable' shall we say. This time I tried to steer right away from master bus processing, or any attempt at mastering it myself Undecided I think a lot of that compression issue was probably still trying to get my head around the UA Shadow Hills mastering compressor, but I did adjust individual track compression as well.

Have I gone too far with some things? (eg too thin now?) Every now and then I'm wondering if the snare is a little dry/unsupported/sticking out a bit. And I still have a bit to learn about how exactly to place kick & bass in relation to each other. I wouldn't say this is a finished product, but I want to move on!! Thanks for the previous comments, always appreciate other people's perspectives & wise advise Big Grin

.mp3    Children Of No-One-Mix 02-Audiomuze.mp3 --  (Download: 8.49 MB)

Besides version 2 sounding softer in level then version 1 ,when level matched good job with bass and kick eq and controlling the guitar effects in the intro Big Grin !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(29-06-2015, 11:31 AM)thedon Wrote: Besides version 2 sounding softer in level then version 1 ,when level matched good job with bass and kick eq and controlling the guitar effects in the intro Big Grin !

Cheers Smile