Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bill Chudziak - Children Of No-one (Mix by FlamingBeatz)
Here is my mix of Bill Chudziak - Children Of No-one.

I started on this mix at 2 am and finished at 4 am so as you can imagine I havent been able to check the mix on all levels yet, also, I haven't added any FX besides delays, I might still add some reverb, do some automation & add the finishing touches later.

Let me know what you think of it!

Btw. don't mind the title of the mp3 XD

.mp3    wrywrywrywry.mp3 --  (Download: 7.89 MB)

Good morning! Smile
I think you have the basis for a pretty good mix, the relative levels of drums, guitar and vocals are about right. If I may make a couple of observations that will hopefully help you refine the balance of your next version:
The hard panned guitars at the start, in particular the one on the right, seems to be clipped. Or have you put a tube emulation on it which has given it a very HF distortion on the peaks?
[edit] hmmm.... I listened to it at a lower level and couldn't hear it so it might just be speaker distortion on some notes. Maybe someone else can confirm if I need to get my hearing aid replaced LOL Smile
[edited again] ah, i think it's printed as part the guitar track itself so just forget everything you just read Wink

The second [edit: now the only] thing which I think needs to be addressed is the bass, which needs to come up in level. The bass really drives this song along, kind of 'raunchy' if that word can be used to describe the bass Wink The mix as it is seems to be missing the smooth power in the low end, which is easily addressed by bringing the bass up a bit. You might need to balance the sub energy in the kick drum with the same range in the bass track.
I hope that this has been of some use to you and I look forward to listening to your revised version.

Dags
So many songs, so little time!
Thank you for your feedback Dags! I will work on it.

I took a listen to all the other mixes posted onhere, most of them seem to have alot more mids and less power in the drums, wich would you call ''better'', mine or theirs? Because I usually mix/make hiphop & RnB so I'm not 100% sure of whats important in these type of mixes.

~FlamingBeatz
Greetings!
That's a very good question, but to define 'better' is really subjective. I guess it depends a lot on the style of song and how you wish to balance the energy across the frequency spectrum....and what the artist/producer would like to hear (I imagine it makes it easier to have that kind of input from the band. As it is, we're all just kind of making our own interpretations of the songs based on our own preferences with whatever skills and techniques we currently possess)

I like the thump you have in your kick, but I think you'll find that once you add more bass to fill the low end of the spectrum it will get way too boomy and murky down that low with so much energy focused in that area. Some EQ adjustments either to the bass or the kick will most likely be necessary to fix it.
The snare in this mix has a lot of the 'crack' and less of the body but that's not necessarily a bad thing if that's what type of sound you're going for as the producer.
Personally I'd add a little more of the body of the snare back into the mix.
Growing up listening to '80s rock (amongst other styles) I am used to hearing the body of the snare emphasised as this holds the power of that percussive instrument and gave headbangers something to follow [LOL!]. For R&B (I have very limited exposure to this genre), it seems the snare is very upper mid-ranged and the main focus is on the big bottom end energy of bass and kick and, of course, also focuses on the voice.

I reckon just keep going with your gut instinct as to what the style of music dictates and see where it leads you. After peer review you can decide what elements of their feedback you would like to try.
I like that by making my attempts available for listening to by my peers on this forum, the feedback I receive challenges me to delve deeper into my boxes of tricks to address the issues that were raised and helps me develop my skills further.

Dags
(19-03-2013, 04:11 AM)Dags Wrote: Greetings!
That's a very good question. I guess it depends a lot on the style of song and how you wish to balance the energy across the frequency spectrum....and what the artist/producer would like to hear (It makes it easier to have that kind of input - we're all just kind of making our own interpretations of the songs based on our own preferences)

I like the thump you have in your kick, but once you add more bass to fill the low end of the spectrum it will get way too boomy and murky down that low with so much energy focused in that area. Some EQ adjustments either to the bass or the kick will most likely be necessary to fix it.
The snare in this mix has a lot of the 'crack' and less of the body but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
Personally I'd add a little more of the body of the snare back into the mix.
Growing up listening to '80s rock (amongst other styles) I am used to hearing the body of the snare emphasised as this holds the power of that percussive instrument and gave headbangers something to follow [LOL!]. For hip hop and R&B, the snare is almost used as an incidental percussive element to keep the beat and the focus is on the big bottom end of bass and kick and, of course, also the voice.

I reckon just keep going with your gut instinct as to what the style of music dictates and see where it leads you. After peer review you can decide what elements of their feedback you would like to try.
I like that by making my attempts available for listening by my peers, the feedback I receive challenges me to delve deeper into my boxes of tricks to address the issues that were raised and helps me develop my skills further.

Dags
Allright, thats good to know. Thanks Smile

I just finished the mix, I tweaked some of the levels & eq, sidechain compressed the bass to the kick to keep the low end clean and I also added some time based effects to the guitars and voice. The sidechain compression on the bass makes the kick stand out alot more, it might even be a bit too much.

I think you are right, the snare sounds fine on the HS80m's but I just checked them on my Beyerdynamic DT-1350's and it does seem to lack bottom.

Again thank you for your feedback Smile

(final mix is attacked to this post)

.mp3    Bill Chudziak - Children Of Noone.mp3 --  (Download: 7.79 MB)

Hi again

Just a quick reply as I'm now trying to get dragged off by a 19 month old Wink

I'm still getting a little overpowered by the really low thump of the kick drum. Bring it back a little and the mix should balance itself
out really well! (My apologies, I should have made this clearer in my original post. I like the thump but it is a little loud in context of this song)

Oh, and the song just kind of cuts out in this version just as the singer is about to raise his fist in the air and sing defiantly "and still we stand!" Big Grin
.............Just listened at work - nope, its all good. Must have been my dodgy home internet cutting off the end of the song.

This is a good mix FlamingBeatz! Please keep going with it. Just a few tweaks away from awesomeness!

Dags
I love it. This version of your song reminds me the best album of "Jethro Tull" Cool Smile