Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
M.E.R.C Music - Knockout (Thom Dewhurst Mix)
Hi all!
This is my first time attempting to mix Hip-Hop/Rap music, as I normally tend to mix Rock music.
Any criticism or feedback is completely encouraged, let me know what you think!

.mp3    KnockOut - (TD Mix1).mp3 --  (Download: 10.31 MB)

Well, I can hear immediately that you did the same thing I did and threw away much of the low end on that. I think maybe a little too much low end overall maybe. On my speakers, it's stepping on the mids. I like the vocal effect at 3:20. Nice contrast. You might also want to watch the low end on that kick. Remember, there's a sub-kick sound next door to it. The added sub on the main kick keeps it from coming through. Overall, I like this mix, though. Nice job.
Old West Audio
Thanks! I'll take your advice on that and revise the low-end situation - I haven't listened to it for a good week now, so my ears should be fresh.
I do remember adding sub onto the main kick, not giving much thought to the other kick next to it. I'll definitely go over that again Wink

First I would like to salute your effort mixing this song.
Now if I may, you need to get out of your rock music influences when mixng hip-hop music.
I'm not trying to say that rock sucks or that you shouldn't take inspiration from it. It's just that in this very case, your background as a rock music mixer (or whatever else you do) is very clear and audible.

I'm not quiet sure (again this is about this song in particular) that your typical rock razor sharp bassline works here for example, and the very dark mix you came out with in general, not sure it fits the song.

Just trying to offer advice and constructive criticism here. I'm a hip-hop artist myself so maybe I know and understand the genre a little better.
In all cases, notice that I didn't say it was a bad mix (cause I don't think it is), I'm just saying maybe you ought to "review" your influences when mixing hip-hop.