Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Ill Fate (WSHT mixes)
These are two different mixes of Ill Fate from Hollow Ground.
I am sorry but WAV versions sound waaaay better Sad

The Punk one is my favorite. I am into punk rock, punk/hc and pop punk, so I started mixing the track with this kind of vibe (kick with lots of low end, voice under the mix, guitars not so aggressive etc...). I mixed the drums inspired by CLA work on Green Day's last 3 albums, i like clicky drums. The result in my advice is a sort of grindcore style. I like it.

The NWOHM is a bit more into the standards, with the drums more inside the mix and the voice that stands more up.

The band sounds harsh, it doesnt have the deep and full vibe that heavy metal bands have. I wanted to keep the harsh and gritty vibe instead of giving a more deep vibe.

Please let me know your feedback Smile

Best,
WSHT
Qwagur Studio (Rome)

.mp3    ILL FATE NWOHM TAKE.mp3 --  (Download: 4.93 MB)

.mp3    ILL FATE PUNK TAKE.mp3 --  (Download: 4.93 MB)

I much prefer the punk take you did. The drums really pack a heavy punch that really compliments the style well. The first thing that springs out at me though is the amount of high end still present in the guitars, which is kind of getting in the way of the cymbals and high end of the vocals. How much high end I take off often depends on the style, song, tone and distortion on the guitar but with this song, I rolled it off until that fizz went and the cymbals could be heard more clearly. I really think you have the low end in this mix sorted though. It's really nice and clear with no dilution of all of the bass elements of the mix and the bass tone you have is godly. However for me, the vocals are losing their impact and authority in the mix because there is too much low end rolled off them. They just sound a bit weak and like they have no guts, almost as if the performance was done whilst cupping the mic. I'd also take some click off the bass drum, at times, it's a little to clicky and in your face. That's what I think anyway! Hope it helps.
Check out my mix here:
http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...?tid=11599
thanks for listening! you are right: vocals should have been more in-face... i forgot that voice is the main thing of a song. i took most of the di guitar and stuffed into waves gtr tool rack, i didnt like the guitar tone and distortion. you are right about the bd click. i ll check your mix thanks for your opinion