Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Mix of Raft Monk's "Tiring"
Hello There!

Here is my mix of "Tiring" I did in approx. 2 days. Total working hours would be around 6 to 7.

I took some creative liberties around the middle of the song just for the heck of it! I hope I won't offend anyone heh...Angel

Anyways...I am pretty happy with the results, but my ears tend to play games with me lately, so I would really appreciate any input/feedback!

.mp3    Tiring-MP3.mp3 --  (Download: 7.81 MB)

Cool mix! It gets really thick near the end, huh? I think you've pulled off a really nice mix with movement and feeling. Great job! There will be things that people will want to hear differently, but I think with the artistic side, you've done a great job, as well as committed to a few compromises (that must be made in every mix, eh?)

That being said, you may have been able to automate the acoustic at the top so it doesn't sound so compressed at the beginning of the track when it has some space to exist. Just automate your threshold or even bypass when the track has some space for it. I think it could fill in some spaces earlier in the mix.

Kudos

Draper
Hey Draper!

Thanks a lot for the input! I tend to overdo it with the thickness sometimes. Maybe its my monitoring system or just me not controlling the low end so well. It has always been bugging me to be able to create a controlled space for the bass frequencies to exist without sounding "squashed".

You are right about the guitars. I could have done a much better job at that department! I will definitely try out you suggestion and if I find some time I will upload a new version!

Most of all, I am glad that the mix was able to communicate the feelings you are talking about, since that is generally my main objective when mixing, apart from sounding "good" which is as you said, and I totally agree, quite subjective.