Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First post and Mix
Hello everyone.

Glad to be here. This is my first post and I'm hoping to hear from you. Never done nothing in this genre before. It was fun.

.mp3    Pitta\'s SelwynJazz-MuchTooMuch MIx.mp3 --  (Download: 10.17 MB)

Hello again

Finally got the time to say something about the mix.

With this I've made a top down approach. But not minimalist. After panning options and having a balanced static mix, I've started with the stereo bus with some light eq and compression. Created some aux for groups of instruments and gave some different character to Winds, Drums, Piano and Guitar, Bass, with compression, parallel compression, Eq and saturation. Grouped sax mics, grouped trumpets. Widened sax image. I wanted to see, hear the three rows of winds as if I was conducting. All mics are always open, excluding voice and the Bass Drum that is gated. In fact used an expander on it. Finally went to individual track processing and reverbs. Used a set of mono reverbs, in three layers, short, medium and long, with different pre delays to help set the stage. I wanted it to match and give something more to the natural ambiance that I already got from Room track and the bleeding from every mic. Hope I got it. You tell me.
Hello Pitta !
Welcome to this Awesome site and congratulations on choosing a challenging mix for a first post !
Enjoyed listening to your version on this great song which was one of my first Daw mixes also.
A couple of observations while listening ,A touch more bass and kick especially in the bottom end and maybe less mid bass around 200-400 hz area .Maybe Keep the warmth of the vocals ,piano etc with a touch less low pass filtering.
This is one i want to do a remix soon Big Grin,

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Thanks for your input.
I think you're right about the bass. It hasn't much information in the low end in the first place and the way it's played pushes that mid range character. But then, the Bass Drum is too sparse to support the low end. I've tried to add something below the Bass Drum range and maybe I could have been more aggressive.
High passing is around 30Hz and below. You think that's enough to take the warmth from it?
I'll look at it again later, cos for now I'm excited about other mix.
(10-06-2015, 12:35 PM)Pitta Wrote: Thanks for your input.
I think you're right about the bass. It hasn't much information in the low end in the first place and the way it's played pushes that mid range character. But then, the Bass Drum is too sparse to support the low end. I've tried to add something below the Bass Drum range and maybe I could have been more aggressive.
High passing is around 30Hz and below. You think that's enough to take the warmth from it?
I'll look at it again later, cos for now I'm excited about other mix.
Done A Quick master of Your mix just for fun maybe the kick could come down a touch in the mix !
Enjoy Big Grin !

.mp3    Much Too Much Pitta-master.mp3 --  (Download: 10.21 MB)

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

This is great. I think it's a lot better. I think we should do this more. It would be wonderful to work in tandem with mastering students, discussing and practicing what to expect from each other. I haven't been into mastering myself. I feel it's a different mindset and that I don't have the monitoring environment to do it anyway.