Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Piece Of Me - mixed by mick2015
Greetings once again, metal fans. Another highly enjoyable song to mix from Dark Ride. This song has an excellent dynamic arrangement and really draws the listener into the different aspects and sections of the song. I worked on bringing out the "chewiness" of the guitar to give it some nice mid-range grit and also the overall punch of the track. Tried a few different compressors on the drums to get the sound I was looking for. Hope you enjoy listening and as always, feedback is most welcome.

Cheers guys,
Mick

.mp3    Piece of Me - MIX002 MN.mp3 --  (Download: 12.2 MB)

Hey whats up, I am no expert on mixing so whatever i say is just an opinion and comes down to personal taste.

To me it seems like there is to much mids in your mix or lack of bass. Also it seems like the mix could be spread out more maybe pan some of the instruments away from the center. I like the sound of the snare it has a lot of pop to it and stands out well.

I just did a mix of this song yesterday if you want to check it out and leave some feedback thanks.

Zog

Hey,

thx for your mix. It doesn't have too much mids, it sounds like it has no mids at all =) It's lacking a lot of power in the lower mids on my consumer headphones in the office - like you made a huuuuuge cut around 600 hz on the master bus or something? Did you use a reference track - and if so, which one? Because if you did I´m wondering what kind of song it was? Checking your mix with the original mix of Piece of Me or any other kind of commercial mix I can clearly hear that your mix is lacking a lot of punch and power.
(31-05-2015, 02:10 PM)zog Wrote: Hey whats up, I am no expert on mixing so whatever i say is just an opinion and comes down to personal taste.

To me it seems like there is to much mids in your mix or lack of bass. Also it seems like the mix could be spread out more maybe pan some of the instruments away from the center. I like the sound of the snare it has a lot of pop to it and stands out well.

I just did a mix of this song yesterday if you want to check it out and leave some feedback thanks.

Zog

Hi Zog,

Thanks for listening, I appreciate your feedback and I will have a listen to your mix also. In regards to the mids, it sounds like your monitoring environment may be sensitive to this frequency range. Did you try listening on a few different speakers/headphones?

Mick

(01-06-2015, 10:34 AM)Blitzzz Wrote: Hey,

thx for your mix. It doesn't have too much mids, it sounds like it has no mids at all =) It's lacking a lot of power in the lower mids on my consumer headphones in the office - like you made a huuuuuge cut around 600 hz on the master bus or something? Did you use a reference track - and if so, which one? Because if you did I´m wondering what kind of song it was? Checking your mix with the original mix of Piece of Me or any other kind of commercial mix I can clearly hear that your mix is lacking a lot of punch and power.

Hi Blitzzz,

Thanks for listening and for taking the time to provide your thoughts. It's quite interesting that I have received two quite polar opposite comments regarding the mids, this has certainly prompted me to tweak this range and have another go to see if it transfers any differently in a range of listening environments. There were no broad cuts in the 600hz range, however I did make some adjustments in the 500hz bracket on the drum buss and vox. In regards to referencing, I used a Killswitch Engage song and also a Megadeth song which in retrospect may not have been an ideal choice.

Will upload another mix soon and would appreciate your further comments if you have time. Thanks again.

Cheers,
Mick
I can't speak for Zog but I think he meant too much upper mids and not enough lower mids (which can sound like missing bass frequencies).

Megadeth is a bad choice, that's true =) Go for anything that Adam D has produced (like Killswitch, All that remains or As I lay dying).
(02-06-2015, 10:42 AM)Blitzzz Wrote: I can't speak for Zog but I think he meant too much upper mids and not enough lower mids (which can sound like missing bass frequencies).

Megadeth is a bad choice, that's true =) Go for anything that Adam D has produced (like Killswitch, All that remains or As I lay dying).

Noted, thanks Blitzzz.

Sorry guys I should of made myself a little clearer about the mids. Blitzzz was right about what I was trying to say sorry for the confusion.

Zog
Revised version, bit of a different approach. Feedback welcome as always. Cheers guys.

.mp3    Piece of Me - MIX003 MN.mp3 --  (Download: 12.23 MB)