Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Good Time" Duguy's Mix
A very well played and recorded song, such a pleasure to mix it.

Hope you'll enjoy. Don't hesitate to comment.

.mp3    Good Times Mix 1.mp3 --  (Download: 10.87 MB)

Wow, Huge room sound you got on the drums here! I really like the up front vocals - they make the most of the vocal performance. Guitars are cool too. Overall, very good...

Just a few things:

I think the big room sound on the kick is messing with the low end definition of the mix. The bass & kick are not punching as well as they could as a result. My guess is there is a buildup around the 150-200hz mark that is causing a sense of "murkiness" there. Perhaps backing down that big "basketball bouncing in a gym" sound from the kick would help - ie less room, more close mic.

Another thing that might improve the sense of "togetherness" of the mix is to automate the guitars to come up a bit in level during the vocal rests in between each phrase. At present, I get the impression that the vocal is well and truly ruling the roost and the guitars are in the background. The lead guitar break comes in nice & loud, but again, it feels almost "separate" from the rhythm section. Sometimes using side-chaining to duck the guitar buss with the lead element (vocals/lead guitar) can be a stealthy way of automatically doing it.

Overall - nice job!
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
(29-05-2015, 09:58 AM)fHumble fHingaz Wrote: Wow, Huge room sound you got on the drums here! I really like the up front vocals - they make the most of the vocal performance. Guitars are cool too. Overall, very good...

Just a few things:

I think the big room sound on the kick is messing with the low end definition of the mix. The bass & kick are not punching as well as they could as a result. My guess is there is a buildup around the 150-200hz mark that is causing a sense of "murkiness" there. Perhaps backing down that big "basketball bouncing in a gym" sound from the kick would help - ie less room, more close mic.

Another thing that might improve the sense of "togetherness" of the mix is to automate the guitars to come up a bit in level during the vocal rests in between each phrase. At present, I get the impression that the vocal is well and truly ruling the roost and the guitars are in the background. The lead guitar break comes in nice & loud, but again, it feels almost "separate" from the rhythm section. Sometimes using side-chaining to duck the guitar buss with the lead element (vocals/lead guitar) can be a stealthy way of automatically doing it.

Overall - nice job!

Yes, the guitar sound was the most difficult thing for me in this mix. I have not finished yet my vocal riding so it's the reason why sometimes the guitars mess a little with the vocals. Moreover, i forgot to EQ my Ambiant drum stem so there is too much 125hz and 2,5KHZ. It make a nice difference when i add the EQ.

Edit : I re-upload the mix with this small changes.

.mp3    Good Times Mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 10.87 MB)

Ah, yeah - much better! Nice!
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
:
(31-05-2015, 12:07 AM)fHumble fHingaz Wrote: Ah, yeah - much better! Nice!
Smile