Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dB S mix
Hi

my pick at it. I was particularly annoyed by the prominent leak of hats and ride in the snare, and their levels in the overhead. For the guitars, I ended up using several of the available takes, using the 2 with some more reverb/ambience as the base, hard panned.
I tried mangling with the overall sound of the drums a bit during the rapping.
Cheers
Eric

.mp3    BlackOutBetty.mp3 --  (Download: 5.9 MB)

Wow - I really like this work. It is very clean sounding, with each instrument having a presence. I particularly like the drum sound you got. My personal preference is to have the vocals a bit more up in the mix, but that is just me. Well done!
I know what you mean about the hats Smile Did you end up using the kick in mic? I couldn't get a good sound out of it.

One thing I've noticed is that the rapping seems to start a bit late in this mix. Is this intentional or has the track been dragged to the right accidentally? Smile

Chris
Thanks Drummer.
Chris, no, I did not use it, the sound of it was really terrible.
I'll check the timing of the rapping part. I know I moved the word "rap" in the sung vocal track, to avoid it clashing with the first word of the rapping part.
Cheers
Thats probably what it is, I was used to hearing "rap" flow straight into the beginning of the rapping and it was weird when it didn't.
...Yeah, thats what it is. It ends in the normal place so it's only "late" in relation to the word "rap".

I don't imagine this would be a problem for for someone who hadn't heard it before but personally I quite like the flow between the vocals.

I like how you've kept the guitars quite well defined, I think my mix could benefit in that area. I used all of the tracks which may be the issue. I had 2 left 2 right and one in the centre with a good bit of reverb on it.

Chris
(17-07-2012, 02:12 PM)Chris93 Wrote: I like how you've kept the guitars quite well defined, I think my mix could benefit in that area. I used all of the tracks which may be the issue. I had 2 left 2 right and one in the centre with a good bit of reverb on it.

Hi Chris
I see what you mean. In the available guitar tracks, 2 were printed with quite a lot of reverb/ambience, so I used those throughout the song, panned L/R, and used 2 of the others, with slightly more distortion, at various location, without adding any more reverb. So the only reverb on the guitars come from what was printed in the provided tracks. I found it quite enough for the song.
Cheers
Eric
I only have additional reverb on the centre one. The idea was to have an ambient guitar sound without pushing the main guitars back in the mix. I'll narrow down the reverb on it and see what that does.

Thanks,

Chris
Nice mix.
I am trying to mix the edited-expert version, and i find it quite difficult to achieve a clear mix.

I can hear clarity on the instruments, and a very clear separation of the low ,mid, and high frequencies.

What kind of processing did you use on the vocals?
Is it a lot of eq and compression?

Hi Dimitris
thanks. There was nothing too heavy-handed on the vocal, a touch of EQ and some compression with the trakker, not more than 4-5 dB on peaks, but then quite some automation. As far as sends go, there's a bit of reverb, a short stereo delay, and another, longer delay on the chorus.

Regards,
Eric

(17-08-2012, 11:28 AM)dimitris Wrote: Nice mix.
I am trying to mix the edited-expert version, and i find it quite difficult to achieve a clear mix.

I can hear clarity on the instruments, and a very clear separation of the low ,mid, and high frequencies.

What kind of processing did you use on the vocals?
Is it a lot of eq and compression?