Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Piece Of Me My Mix
Hello! I hope you like it! Any comments are welcome! Smile

.mp3    Piece Of Me.mp3 --  (Download: 12.31 MB)

Great stuff! There's just some ear drilling resonance at around 3 kHz. It's not very bad but becomes obvious when you crank it up to mosh pit level. Or it's just me or my system. I like your "soft" yet powerful drums.
Hey thanks for listening to my mix. I think you were right about the resonance 3kHz so I cut 4db on that area from my master channel. I hope now is better! I am glad that you liked the drum sound.

.mp3    Piece Of Me 2.mp3 --  (Download: 12.31 MB)

Sounds really good, but back off the compression a bit because it sounds really crushed.

Also, I think the toms are panned unrealistically wide, which might be the thing you wanted to go for, but it takes away the cohesiveness of the drums.

The guitars and vocals sound great though Smile
Did you listen the 1st or the 2nd version? Because the second version I think that isn't so crushed. Now as far as the toms are concerned I try to pan everything in 3 way (left, center, right) in order to make my mix sound wider. Is one thing that I have read by Chris Lord-Alge whose job I love.
Do I hear reverb on the rhythm guitars ... ?
Nope! You just hear some delays and choruses on the rhythm guitars. Only a very little short reverb on the acoustic guitar and on the solo guitar.
Why would someone put delay and chorus on tightly played rhythm guitars in a modern metal song? What is the idea behind that decision, what was the goal? To get rid of the focus and the precise attack? To make the rhythm guitars sound wobbly and soft?

It's a good mix but way to squashed for my taste. A lot of small details are lost in the big pile of reverb/chorus/delay. the last chorus also sounds distorted and unpleasing.
Exactly as you mentioned the idea was to make them softer and wider. I don't think that is something right or wrong in that case, it is just a personal taste. You may like it or not.
I am very glad that you did hear my mix and you told me your opinion. Now as far as the last chorus on my monitors it isn't sound distorted but if it is on your system I will have to check it out. This distortion maybe comes from the output limiter.
do you automate the volume of the chorus, verse etc.? maybe you are hitting the limiter too hard. Anyway, Delay and Chorus on rhythm guitars for this kind of music is the opposite of what I expect as a listener. I want a wall of sound with big & huge guitars. I don't think that this decision is up to personal taste Smile