Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guitar player creates interesting layering
Hi,

Lots of fun things with this one. Vocals were a bit of a challenge with the background noise and proximity effect. Folks asked what I used for the effect right after the line in the second verse "Such a nice pain when it washes out your eyes". It was a Melda Productions MComb on the 11_ElecGtr1a track with some slow panning and a lush reverb.

Thanks for giving my mix a listen,
Jim

.mp3    An Ultra Violet Apology 6a.mp3 --  (Download: 12.65 MB)

Hi Jim

this is probably one of the best mixes I have heard in my time mixing and learning on Cambridge. Your take on the song is unique and I cant stop listening to it. What type of reverbs delays etc. did you apply. Its truly a pro sound
Memphis
Rock n Roll Man in a Digital Age

Ice-16 Interface/Cubase Artist 8/Lenovo I5 quad/X2442/Fender Telecasters/Fender Hot rod, Champ, Junior/ M-Track Interface/
(17-05-2015, 11:19 PM)Memphis Black Wrote: Hi Jim

this is probably one of the best mixes I have heard in my time mixing and learning on Cambridge. Your take on the song is unique and I cant stop listening to it. What type of reverbs delays etc. did you apply. Its truly a pro sound
Memphis

Thank you, Memphis, for the complement. I really appreciate that, and I'm happy to share. This song always chills me out when I listen to it. The guitar work isn't flashy and complex, but it richly paints such a wonderful mysterious atmosphere.

I used Lexicon PCM Vintage Plate and Chamber reverbs, a PSP Audioware PianoVerb, and Waves Manny Marroquin Reverb and Delay plugins.

This was my third mix that I completed in Feb but just got around to uploading it. I've been out of the business for many years, but do it again to relax. I am a entrepreneur/technologist that always is having to create things for everyone else. This offers me a pure outlet to do something for me. Again, it is nice to have someone appreciate one's efforts, thank you. For each one of the songs I mix I set out to both explore and refine techniques that may enrich and complement the song. Mostly, I try to place myself into the mind of the artist/band and contribute as a phantom member. (Sorry for getting overly grandiose - just really enjoy the creative process.) I also set out to create a better mix than the original/sample mixes usually supplied with the tracks.

I would really appreciate your take on one of my latest uploads "Jackie Greene - Don't Let the Devil Take Your Mind". I played that on quite a few systems - from phones to home theater systems to various high/low end car stereos. I have completed 5 other mixes, of which I have uploaded two or three. I am finishing up three others. They are of very genres (barbershop quartet, metal, new age, afro-beat, etc.) as I find it challenges my creativity.

Please feel free to ask about any other aspects of the mix. I'm happy to detail any specific plugin chains of which you may be interested.

-Jim
Oh yes, I love this mix also

It's really overprocessing for sure, but the genre allows that, in my opinion
This song loves 80sh reverbs and modulation
Great mix you did
Congrats
d
Interesting mix jmullis, different.
Good work!
Hi Jim

yep those reverbs a bit out of my reach at the moment but yep something to keep an eye out for

Memphis
Rock n Roll Man in a Digital Age

Ice-16 Interface/Cubase Artist 8/Lenovo I5 quad/X2442/Fender Telecasters/Fender Hot rod, Champ, Junior/ M-Track Interface/
I love the imagery you've got going on here, it sounds sweet!
The drums are punchy yet not sticking out of the mix in a bad way, it makes for a powerful delivery.
I went the opposite way with this mix and decided to try a warmer and more simple mix, but next to this it sounds positively boring! Wink
Nice one.

(17-05-2015, 10:29 PM)jmullis Wrote: Hi,

Lots of fun things with this one. Vocals were a bit of a challenge with the background noise and proximity effect. Folks asked what I used for the effect right after the line in the second verse "Such a nice pain when it washes out your eyes". It was a Melda Productions MComb on the 11_ElecGtr1a track with some slow panning and a lush reverb.

Thanks for giving my mix a listen,
Jim
I believe this has way too much air and which makes the reverb brittle and overall the mix dense.
Maybe try to lowpass the reverb, and add some 2/3khz eq (body) to bring the life back to this mix. It sound like the like a smiley face eq over the mix and its fatiguing to listen to.
My Original Music

"One often learns more from ten days of agony than ten years of contentment."

Pro Tools 12.6/Studio One 3 Pro
Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
wow, very creative take on this mix jmullis.. you've pushed the ethereal boundaries.

I do agree with wesleyamltd it does sound like a smiley face EQ over the mix.. it's a bit on the sibilant side on the top end..
though the bass freqs are very well controlled and thick sounding on your mix.. probably the hardest thing to technically tame on these tracks, bravo on that !

also - '20-JayVo-LdGtr'
when I listen to the main guitar riff on the 2nd time it appears in the song (the intro being the first pass).. the riff has a significant amount of latency (offset delay).. the groove is most certainly off by a few +/- 100 milliseconds or so

everything else is pretty much mix to taste.. all good, tasty gravy to my ears.

cheers
(23-01-2016, 07:13 PM)wesleyamltd Wrote: [quote='jmullis' pid='33514' dateline='1431898160']
It sound like the like a smiley face eq over the mix and its fatiguing to listen to.

There is some peak on 10 kHz which tend to sound fatiguing. Usually peaks around 7 kHz, 8kHz or 14 kHz, 16 kHz tend to sound less fatiguing depending on neighboring frequencies.

This is the first track with good low end so far which I happen to hear on this site.