Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boogie Snakes-Its my Right Memphis Style
If I understand it correctly, RMS measures the average loudness over a period of time, it doesn't show how much that loudness has varied. According to the Waves WLM manual, the Range value:

Range displays (in LU) the overall loudness range across the program signal that
passes through the plugin.

On both versions of the track the range was either 0 or 1, which is pretty tiny. Still worth checking out your tape sim to see if it has an input level - it's possible to get considerably amounts of tape compression without it being immediately obvious that's what's happening on some plugins, though I'm not familiar with the one you mention.

Final other thing is that even just a couple of dbs compression repeated a few times will add up to a huge difference - you might have had a dynamic range of 6dB on say your drums, but if you compressed the drum bus, then the master bus, then again at mastering, those 2dBs of compression will add up to 0 dynamic range. I've done that myself a few times and it's annoying - you put the compressors on thinking 'yes, this'll definitely improve the sound' and on its own it would, but combined with other things it starts to get too much.

Hope that helps, cheers

Matt
Hi Matt

Thanks again mate for the insight into my mixing . Without your comments I would have not learned so much about the new regs and how far I was wandering from the path Yep I will re visit all my chain tonight and see if I can expand it out a lot more. Just downloaded an LUFS/LRA Meter and a load of notes on the scales and the new LUFS Broadcast standards. it makes good reading and probably will be how things will go on streaming sites. Currently for music they are pointing at -16 to -18 LUFS for music at the moment with an LRA of around 3 for more powerful music and up to 6-10 for more laid back music. They did mention to cross reference it with the TT Meter etc and have a minimum DR of 8-10 as well as a cross reference.

The appliance of Science eh Matt

Best Regards

Memphis
Rock n Roll Man in a Digital Age

Ice-16 Interface/Cubase Artist 8/Lenovo I5 quad/X2442/Fender Telecasters/Fender Hot rod, Champ, Junior/ M-Track Interface/
Thanks, that's helpful for me as well, I'm pretty new to the LUFS scale as well. Glad it's of use

Cheers

Matt
Hi yall

been working on the mix busses and using new LUFS metres to check .Pretty much only 1db on any mix buss compressor in this mix. Checked all of the meters with plugins in and out and difference seems minimal. I did have a problem with one of the buss compressors which needed re-setting and that cleared up some headroom. It now has a DR of 10+ on the TT Meter which is better.

no loudness war for me lol

Memphis Cool

.mp3    Boogie Snakes 200515 2231 -15LUFS +1.4LRA -1.1TP DR10.mp3 --  (Download: 10.02 MB)

Rock n Roll Man in a Digital Age

Ice-16 Interface/Cubase Artist 8/Lenovo I5 quad/X2442/Fender Telecasters/Fender Hot rod, Champ, Junior/ M-Track Interface/
It's certainly getting there! Smile I wonder actually (listening on headphones) whether part of the issue I was hearing with previous versions is that the room mic is a little loud in the mix? Because it's compressed, you've got this kind of constant 'hum' of room sound in the background which contributes to the feeling of it being squashed (though it's certainly nothing like as squashed as previously). Maybe back that off a bit and bring the close mics up? Overall balance though is great as I've said before and the vocal sound is good.

I've had a go at this one now - would appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers

Matt