Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boogie Snakes-Its my Right Memphis Style
Morning

had this track mixed and used a few new techniques ,

let me know what you think of it

Keep Rockin

Memphis Cool

.mp3    Boogie Snakes Memphis Style.mp3 --  (Download: 10.02 MB)

Rock n Roll Man in a Digital Age

Ice-16 Interface/Cubase Artist 8/Lenovo I5 quad/X2442/Fender Telecasters/Fender Hot rod, Champ, Junior/ M-Track Interface/
Hi there, I think the overall balance of this is great, vocal sounds really good in particular. However I can't get over just how compressed this is overall - sounds like you've absolutely smashed both the drum bus and the master bus, and the total dynamic range is 1 LU! I've literally never seen that before - even when I totally overcooked a DnB track elsewhere on the forum the dynamic range was still 3! Smile I reckon if you just back off your drum bus & master compression and let the music breathe a whole more you're going to have a really great mix. Hope that helps, cheers, Matt
Hi London Matt ,

I going to check my meters now matey. I normally run everything through with min 9-10 db range on my meters(TT Meter). I only take 1 to 2 db off on any compression at most . The drum buss does use three compressors but all just taking a db off to pack a punch. When I checked my TT meter this was showing 9db headroom. Is there something I am missing ? new to the LU/DB Headroom numbers and maybe I am getting it wrong somewhere

thanks for the feedback mate

Memphis

Ice-16 Interface/Cubase Artist 8/Lenovo I5 quad/X2442/Fender Telecasters/Fender Hot rod, Champ, Junior/ M-Track Interface/
The bass is overpowering the rest and pumping like hell. Everything is over-compressed. The frequency balance seems to be pretty good though (except for the bass).

This song needs dynamics and transients. You killed both with your aggressive compression. Try backing off and only use compression where it is necessary (i.e. if you cannot get a solid balance otherwise). The more you compress a song, the more punch you will lose. A little can go a long way - go for small amounts of gain reduction, use a long attack and short release, and maybe try parallel compression instead (especially on the drums - they are very important in this genre).

My 2 cents. Smile

Hi Stoman

yep just checkin Matts comments as well . I am using parallel compression and maybe 2 db compression at the most on each buss with no compression on most of the tracks apart from some gentle levelling. I have just loaded up the project on TT Meter and its showing DR range of 9DB. I love the non compressed sound and watch every DB so I am confused with this. Maybe something going wrong with the export process down to Wav. I need to get to the bottom of this one. The bass I have listened to on several systems and it seems fine but will be checking that as well. Looks like I have a gremlin in the process. Any ideas ?

Memphis

I'm no expert on metering, I'm using the Waves WLM Meter which shows true peak level to be -0.5dB (fair enough), the long-term loudness to be -11 LUFS and the range to be only 1LU. Waves PAZ Meter gives the RMS over the whole song as -3.4dB which is UNBELIEVABLY loud - as in, I can't quite believe you managed to get that without there being massive audible distortion! Smile Typically for a track like this you'd want something like -8 to -10dB RMS, if not more.

What are you running it through at mastering? Or could be a problem with the conversion to mp3? Though I wouldn't expect that to give you this over-compressed sound, I'd expect more audible artifacts than that. Sorry to not be of more help.
Hi Matt

yep just loaded up the original track with RMS level at -18db and peak at -6. Mastering was RMS -10 peak at -1db. These were on the TT Meter. Re-Imported the wavs back and it was showing -11db peak -2db ish . confused .com lol

will check the mp3 but it was not loading at present

Memphis

Hi Guys

uploaded a new version its reading -12db rms and -14 LUFS but it seems to vary a lot .I changed one of the settings on the Dither which was showing high gain so hopefully this sound cleaner

Memphis Cool

.mp3    Boogie Snakes 180515 2151 Mastered tape2.mp3 --  (Download: 10.02 MB)

*Edited cos I realised I was looking at a peak rather than RMS meter!*

So this is certainly quieter - I've got the RMS at -15.1dB, but the LU range is still somewhere between 0 and 1 i.e. very small. I think the problem is not how loud it is relative to 0dBFS, it's how squashed it is. It's like you had a really squashed audio file, and you've just dropped the master fader a dB or two on output - it's quieter in terms of peak level, but it's still super squashed.

You put in the file name that it was "mastered tape" - presumably you've run it through a tape emulation plugin? If so I reckon that's probably where the massive compression is coming from and why it still sounds relatively musical even though it's still so compressed. You need to drop the input into your tape plugin (which one are you using?) by at least 5dB I'd say and let the music breathe a bit more. Overall though as I said it does sound great! Just still quite hard to listen to the whole song because it is so squashed.
Hi Matt

Just Bootsy's Tesla pro set to tape that was all. Going to look back at all of the Buss channels again to see if there is anything untoward happening. With a DR Range of 9 to 10 I thought that would be ok. Is the LU range the difference between RMS changes not actual headroom db?. Will remove the plugin and post that up and see what's going on. It was quite a new and complex set up I was trying with mix Busses etc. so maybe somewhere in there it was getting nailed down. Last night spent a good 30 minutes checking any compressors and nothing more than a couple of DB was being taken which is even more confusing lol.

Many thanks for the feedback , nice to get some that could change the mixes I do for the better

Memphis