Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Sulking rough mix
We gotta trySleepy

Here the 2nd mix i didCool
Say whatever you want....Wink

On the 2nd mix Drums have been heavily process using Metric Halo Channel strip and reel tape saturation.
Soundtoy Decapitator helped me to give to the Toms the Oooomph they needed..
I put Mcdsp Revolver and Digi stock Delay in a Aux together and sent the vocals to the Aux to create a feeling of a huge reverb.
I hope i succeed ...

Ps: I like the first mix better.
I will automate the vocals tomorrow....zzzzz

.mp3    Mike Sulking Song Mix_35.mp3 --  (Download: 9.54 MB)

.mp3    Mike Sulking Mix FMIX.mp3 --  (Download: 9.62 MB)

Hi,

as this is the first mix of this song I listen to I don't know how much of the things I'm going to comment on are actually depending on the tracks and how much of it is your personal decision.

First of all, this is quite an interesting mix, presenting the song in quite a lofi-aesthetic.

Now I do think that it is a bit heavy in the low mids and also in parts a bit too distorted (backing vocals!). The level balance is not the way you would expect a hifi-sounding mix to be, but it contributes to the lofi-aesthetic and it does work. The only problem I can think of here is that it is sometimes a bit hard to hear the chord progession.

What I personally do not like is the reverb on the guitars. It is a bit too much cave for my personal taste. The drums could have a bit more attack as well, though I am not sure if this would not change the overall sound too much.
(14-03-2013, 12:23 PM)Artbass Wrote: Hi,

as this is the first mix of this song I listen to I don't know how much of the things I'm going to comment on are actually depending on the tracks and how much of it is your personal decision.

First of all, this is quite an interesting mix, presenting the song in quite a lofi-aesthetic.

Now I do think that it is a bit heavy in the low mids and also in parts a bit too distorted (backing vocals!). The level balance is not the way you would expect a hifi-sounding mix to be, but it contributes to the lofi-aesthetic and it does work. The only problem I can think of here is that it is sometimes a bit hard to hear the chord progession.

What I personally do not like is the reverb on the guitars. It is a bit too much cave for my personal taste. The drums could have a bit more attack as well, though I am not sure if this would not change the overall sound too much.

Hi Artbass
I like your review very much and enjoyed the clarity of how your describe the " good " and " bad " of the mix.

This is a rough mix and i will post the 2nd mix later on.

The reverb on the guitars are kind of " tacky" " cheesy", i thought i could give a "cave "vibe to them to make the Band sound like some friends recording in a basement.
I did not want to give to much punch to the drums because when i did , everything start falling down.
For me there is no rules and i mix following my instinct.

A lot of things ( Lead Vox and Bvox, Drums are kind of very bad recorded) and thats why i tried to go the " nasty way" to make everything sound connected through the not so clean Lo fi way.
So now that i have read your valuable comment , i will go back to the mix and let you know. But once again its all about a matter of taste.

PS: I will go listen to your mix and comment or review them ASAP.