Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jackie Greene - "Don't Let The Devil Take Your Mind"(bedroom-mix)
Just a quick version, mixed in bedroom.
Might bee too much ambience on some tracks.
Hi-hat needs even more reduction in volume at certain parts.

.mp3    master_jg_v5.mp3 --  (Download: 14.54 MB)

I like the overall panning/level balance that you've developed and i think the song grooves nicely in the choruses.

I think you've highlighted a couple of details that need attention and maybe i can hear another couple that are affecting the overall frequency balance

1. You're right about hi-hats....and i think in general that there is too much info above 14KHz
2. Agree that there is too too much ambiance - its also a bit inconsistent e.g. the guitar solo is relatively dry compared with the rest of mix so a bit confusing
3. I think your kick is too reliant on sub 50 hz and needs balancing with more 50-100hz...Most kicks have a sweet spot around 70-80hz.
4. Cant really hear the snare .....sounds masked by OHs.....so comes across a bit like a giant tambourine...not much drive

Hope this helps. These are always tough mixes.....and for such high end gear, the drums often sound ropey. Cheers
(12-05-2015, 04:03 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: I like the overall panning/level balance that you've developed and i think the song grooves nicely in the choruses.

I think you've highlighted a couple of details that need attention and maybe i can hear another couple that are affecting the overall frequency balance

1. You're right about hi-hats....and i think in general that there is too much info above 14KHz
2. Agree that there is too too much ambiance - its also a bit inconsistent e.g. the guitar solo is relatively dry compared with the rest of mix so a bit confusing
3. I think your kick is too reliant on sub 50 hz and needs balancing with more 50-100hz...Most kicks have a sweet spot around 70-80hz.
4. Cant really hear the snare .....sounds masked by OHs.....so comes across a bit like a giant tambourine...not much drive

Hope this helps. These are always tough mixes.....and for such high end gear, the drums often sound ropey. Cheers

Groove might be due to delay/reverb which kinda matches with snare and overall rhythm.

1. I had no other option to make cymbals rely on high frequencies due to heavy spill from everything else and due to thin sounding mids, other wise they might have started to clash and sound too full compared to everything else.
2. Ambience reverb was only on Leslie's-low track, keys and on vox1. It was quite hard to make guitar sit good in the mix with heavy reverb on everything so I tried my best and made it that way.
3. My kick has peaks on 35Hz and 50Hz, I made them that way cause there are people with speakers and headphones who might be able to enjoy that kind of sound.
Kicks sound sweet around 70-80Hz or even 150Hz but they fit more in jazz-like sounding music and other music where bass has more accompaniment role or where high frequency information of kick drum might conflict with other instruments, weak sounding choir or songs with faster tempo.
4. This song relies more on bass and rhythm guitar, so I made the snare a bit softer sounding by setting the fundamental frequency on 135Hz and leaving some mids and lower mids, everything else is from Leslie's low mic's reverb.

Thanks for constructive and operative response.