Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wayfaring Stranger Mix
I was browsing through the Multi-track archive looking for something a bit different to mix, and I stumbled upon this track. I really liked the way the sample mix sounded, so I decided to take a crack at mixing it. I used the bleed from the mics to my advantage to act as the reverb for the track, I did however put a slight room reverb on the vocals as they were recorded in isolation. The vocals seemed to benefit from some parallel processing (saturation) to give it that old school jazz vibe, some minor eq and compression also helped with the tone. The Drums were good sounding, but needed a bit of warmth and colour added to them, so with a quick run through a neve console emulation they started to take on a warm and full vibe. The bass needed a bit of compression as I had used both the DI and the Mic tracks to fatten up the low end of the track and some band-passing helped to position the sound. The Piano and sax have been panned like some jazz recordings of the 50's and 60's but not as extreme, just enough to give some width to the track. A little mix buss EQ, and compression glued everything together and then the final 2 track file was mastered with some multi-band compression, final EQ, Limiting, and Tape saturation.
This is my first mix of this track and I am looking to have some fresh ears have a listen to the mix. Comments and critiques are very welcome. Enjoy!

.mp3    Wayfaring Stranger Master 1.mp3 --  (Download: 11.7 MB)

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
I enjoy listening to those drums... you've achieved a beautiful sound for them! I think the bass is a little bit loud for my taste. I think -2db would be ok.

I should also add that the ambience is perfect! good work!
mixing since April 2013
Hi, I feel too much bass in my opinion you can increase mid and hi frequencies on it and down the fader. Vocals need some 4 kHz and increase around 65 hz the kick an down fader to hide a bit of low frecuencies on it.
(07-05-2015, 04:48 AM)dcp10200 Wrote: cut
This is my first mix of this track and I am looking to have some fresh ears have a listen to the mix. Comments and critiques are very welcome. Enjoy!

I feel the instruments a tad distant, a bit roomy
For my taste I try to keep everything "in your face" even if with a depht of a long reverb
kick is nice but unglued