Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rothko mixed by Artbass
Hey,

since I found myself commenting on quite a few of your mixes of this lovely song, I thought I should give it a try myself. So here it is. Feel free to comment and give me back all the criticism I gave to you Wink

Cheers
Artbass

.mp3    Rothko_M1.mp3 --  (Download: 7.49 MB)

Real nice mix,the drums sound lush there is nothing more i can say i cant hear how it could be any better
Hey Artbass.
What did you use to separate the backing vox across either side of the soundstage?
I used a sample delay on an aux and had it panned opposite to the main channel, but it seemed to make things a little 'blurry'. Yours are really clean.

I also like your snare - it has a nice attack and lots of body. Did you blend much of the room mic into the mix?

Dags
So many songs, so little time!
Thanks to both of you for taking the time and commenting.

(15-03-2013, 06:50 AM)Dags Wrote: Hey Artbass.
What did you use to separate the backing vox across either side of the soundstage?
I used a sample delay on an aux and had it panned opposite to the main channel, but it seemed to make things a little 'blurry'. Yours are really clean.

I also like your snare - it has a nice attack and lots of body. Did you blend much of the room mic into the mix?

Dags

For the backing vox I created a fake double track. As the chorus is repeated several times, this was just a matter of copy and paste and a bit of aligning. I think this works way better than a simple sample delay as you get essentially two different performances.

I am not at home right now, so I can not tell you for sure how much of the room mic I used, but iirc it was almost as high as the overheads. I kind of loved the sound of it, very full. The snare also got some plate reverb and a bit of distortion.

Speaking of distortion, I only read Mike's Mix Rescue after I did this mix. I used a bit of distortion on the guitars, but not in the way, Mike did. I used the good old "DaTube" from Cubase as an insert and set drive to 30%, which seems to warm things up without obvious distortion. I have not used that plugin in a while (way too many different plugins on my computer) and I just began to love it again.
(15-03-2013, 07:41 AM)Artbass Wrote: For the backing vox I created a fake double track. As the chorus is repeated several times, this was just a matter of copy and paste and a bit of aligning. I think this works way better than a simple sample delay as you get essentially two different performances.

*slaps forehead* Of course! I have read about that little trick but it completely slipped my mind.
Thanks for the refresher Smile

I am amazed at how often a touch of a distortion or even 'bitcrushing' effect can add enough of an edge to a sound to give it just that little bit of something special.
In an age of near-pristine digital recording where everything is clear and clean, we find ourselves adding some dirt back into the mix to make it sound better Smile

Dags

So many songs, so little time!
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice! Cool Song
and very very interesting mix !!
the only thing that comes to my mind is a little more "smack" at the snare.. the body is really good but a little more of that "sMAcktshh" would be really cool Big Grin
again i think this vocals need a kind of creative efx ..idk exactly what, short delays, fast phasers for the backing idk..maybe many layers.. to make it shine.

the balance for me is perfect in your mix.
Indeed a very nice one.
thx for posting
Thank you for taking the time commenting, Tim D.

I can hear in front of my inner ear where your thoughts are comming from. My mix places the song into a more or less folk/rock setting while your suggestions might take it more into the realms of pop/rock. This would be a valid decision. Maybe I'll fool around with some advanced vocal processing to see where it leads.

Cheers
Artbass
I like the balance on this mix a lot. As others have said, the BV's are really good in the chorus although the BV in the verse seems a bit disembodied from the rest of the mix (I think my mix suffers the same issue). Tonally it just needs a bit more mid range bite.
Nice mix. Definitely my favorite of all I've listened to.

Really nice snare and bass (to be expected from someone with the user name Artbass Cool ). Wish I could get the bass on my mix to sound like that.

BGVox a bit high in the mix for my tastes, but overall nice treatment...
Thanks to both of you. I think you've got me, QuintaQuad. The bass is my main instrument Cool I used some ampsimulation here (3rd bass, iirc)

BG level is a bit of an issue, especially during the verses, I agree with that.