Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patrick Talbot - Set Me Free
From your clip, I would say that the toms have too much sustain, and they do sound much louder than the snare. I would try to lower them and perhaps use a transient designer to cut some of that sustain. Perhaps also automate the snare so that it punches more during the part where the toms are present.
When the drums are in full swing (during the instrumental solos), it sounds really nice, so it's more about the 'set me free' section where I feel it's still a bit unbalanced. If I were to re-mix this one (been a long time Smile) I would probably address that at the midi level, by pushing the snare velocity during that section and lowering the toms, but it should be doable on the audio as well with a bit of level automation on the close mic tracks.
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
Now, I have raised the snare level 4 dB, in the parts with Toms...and have controlled Toms sustain, manually (see attached picture)

Finally I have put a little bit of room reverb to the final mix.

Here in wav 16 bit 44,1 KHz:
https://soundcloud.com/dytstudio/patrick...et-me-free

Thumbnail(s)

.mp3    PATRICK TALBOT - Set Me Free.mp3 --  (Download: 10.93 MB)

Sound pretty good to me jorndyt!
I think this sound a lot better than your first attempt, so kudos for your tenacity! Smile
Great job!
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here