Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Day Calling (Sano mix)
Great Song, was a fun mix !!

.m4a    Another Day Calling (Sano mix).m4a --  (Download: 6.15 MB)

This is a really difficult multitrack to mix with all the corrective timing/tuning edits that are necessary, and I'm impressed with how tight you've gotten the vocal and drums from that perspective. I'm just listening on my ordinary computer speakers which tend to mask sloppy edits a little, but honestly, I don't think I'd be able to tell you'd tightened it up if not familiar with the tracks.

Great ambience effects, especially on the drums. Here and there I wonder if you pushed the reverb just a little too far from a personal taste perspective.. there's a little vocal masking on occasion.. but riding the vocal a little bit more would solve that without touching the sends. Overall, the ambience is well suited to the material and really flatters the somewhat bland recordings.

I think it's compression that I'm hearing on the vocal, and it feels a little too obvious to me, but I'll admit it's flattering in a way. Given the rather dynamic vocal, though, you've done an admirable job managing her dynamics without killing the emotion in the performance. A leveling amplifier before whichever compressor you're using now might help tighten the dynamics up a bit more transparently... it'd certainly make riding the vocals a hell of a lot easier, too.. but overall the vocal sits well, and you've really brought up some of her more pleasing musical nuances, so I'm not fussing. However, the vocal would improve with some more assertive de-essing.. some of the sibilants are a bit pointy.

On the PC speakers it sounds like you nailed the spectrum.. a very pleasant listen. Until I heard your mix I didn't like this song, but you've won me over Big Grin

Great job, as expected... any of the tweaks I've suggested are probably personal taste more than anything else. A very competently executed, musical sounding mix IMHO!
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Thanks for your comments pauli,

I'm pleased you liked the verb/ambience I've used. I've been focusing on the spatial placement of my mixes lately, so your comments make me think I'm doing something right Smile

For the vocals I used a compressor to tame the large peaks and a multi band compressor as a kind of dynamic EQ and then a fair amount of automation to try and get the vocal sit just right. I'm pretty pleased with the results I got ....but there is defiantly room for improvement.

I think you're right about the esses they are a little dominant.
A big thanks I really enjoyed this. Smile !
Even if there were something that I felt different about, I would not even think of saying it. I have to respect the amount of time and effort that was put into all the editing you've done. And it really pays off.
Thanks for sharing
T