Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About This Multitrack
You can find the multitrack files for this project in the 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library.

Before posting a mix, please read The Three Commandments!
Please post your mix as a new thread, rather than as a reply to this sticky.

Here's some more project info you might find useful:
  • About The Raw Multitracks: This project was put together on a Roland VS2480 multitracker (using the uncompressed 24-bit/44.1kHz recording mode) and a handful of samplers. As such, some tracks are already submixed.
    • The drums are provided as a single programmed track of kick, snare, tambourine, and vinyl noise. In addition, there's a submixed track of background sound-effects which are integral to the atmosphere and rhythmic feel of the track.
    • The bass part is from a Korg Prophecy physical model, controlled via extensive MIDI real-time data.
    • The violin parts were recorded using a piezo contact pickup for a super-dry, reedy sound. The distorted viola in the middle section, however, is a miked recording, and both the raw and distorted versions of that track are included.
    • Two other MIDI parts are provided: a simple pad to support the violins parts in the choruses, and an echoey plucked arpeggio part with some pitch-bend.
    • In addition to a lead vocal (with octave doubling in the choruses), there's a stereo submix of dry male and female backing vocals.
  • Challenges You're Likely To Face:
    • The submixed drums make it tricky to control one instrument without impacting on another.
    • The backing-vocal lines are mixed together, so you may not be able to balance everything that you want to independently.
    • The song modulates up a semitone at the start of the second verse, and then again at the start of the middle section, so some EQ and balance settings may not continue to apply effectively throughout the song.
    • The bass here is extremely changeable, by virtue of all the real-time MIDI controller data that's been used while programming it. As such it's tricky to find processing that works for the whole of that track.
    • Many of the backing parts on the preview mix were processed with a parallel lo-fi process on the VS2480, which produced a lot of the spooky aliasing frequencies there. This effect is tricky to replicate on any other system, so you'll probably have to take a different sonic direction for that section whether you'd like to or not.
  • Some Mixing Tips:
    • If you want more control over the drums, I'd suggest chopping them up and moving the bits to different tracks.
    • The violins were deliberately recorded via DI to get them sounding dry and weedy, so rather than trying to compensate for that I'd suggest making a virtue of it and emphasising this quality as a statement.
    • I think multing will be your friend here as far as the bass, strings, and vocals are concerned, allowing you to cater for the sounds of different sections.

If you have any other general questions about this multitrack, just reply to this post and I'll see what I can do.
Hey Mike,

how you doing?
I was wondering if you would know what mics and preamps were used to record the vocals, especially the main vocal.

Many thanks

Juraj
(11-07-2013, 04:23 PM)Juraj Wrote: I was wondering if you would know what mics and preamps were used to record the vocals, especially the main vocal.

It was an MXL V77 valve mic into a Dbx 376 channel strip. I compressed at 2.5:1 overeasy, maximum 10dB, and I added 6dB at 12kHz. I think that was everything. At the mix I didn't do much else to it other than compressing/automating a bit more, I think.

Ok,
thank you