Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here is my first shot on this great piece of music ! OakOakMix
I've listened to a lot of the mix you guys posted, and all different approach are really intresting.

I tried the 'Intimate' style with an explosive end ! There is still work to do, especially on the compression and automation i suppose...

I hope you will like it or, at least, say why not Big Grin

Thanks !

.mp3    An Ultra Violet Apology.mp3 --  (Download: 12.59 MB)

Hi Oakoak,

I really like the direction that you took the track overall. I think that for the most part, your handling of the instruments was well balanced and the mood is really good.

In terms of feedback, the things that stood out for me, instrumentation wise, were as follows:

1) Where there were 2 bass parts playing at once, the bass, for me anyway, got a bit too heavy and muddy. I think I get what you were trying to achieve here but I think it needs to be reigned in a bit.

2) The heavily distorted guitars in the last part need some treatment as in the mix, they sound a bit harsh. It doesn't fit with the rest of the sound palette that you have created.

3) The bell has slightly too much high end for my tastes.

4) Sounds like some gating is necessary in some of the noisier guitar parts at the end (probably the feedback guitars) as there are some (minor though it may be) unpleasant low end buzzing sounds coming from this section.

I feel that the part of the mix that needs the most attention is the vocals (though I guess this is what you wanted to go back to do with compression and automation):

1) The quiet parts (from start to about 1:00 for instance) are a bit too soft. I get that you wanted an intimate vibe here but my personal view is that listeners attach themselves to the vocals of any song and at times you are asking too much of them to try and pick out the words.

2) The loud parts (from around 1:23 to around 1:46) are a bit too loud. They stand out from the rest of the mix too much. It sounds like you've cut a decent amount of space for them down the middle so dropping the levels a bit shouldn't bury the vocals.

3) In contrast to the above 2 points, at 3:47 or so (and for the rest of that last part of the song), where you'd expect his vocals to really come alive, they sound really buried.

4) The vocals, to me, sound like they have too much mid-low end. Most noticeable in the "big" last section with everything going on at once. It sounds like it is overlapping other instruments a bit. It's possible that other instruments are also responsible for the bit of muddiness that is happening here.

Good job in general. Thanks for sharing your work Smile
In first part, thanks a lot for your comment Vinay !

I appreciate and agree with most of them. Especially the muddy bass and that lack of work on the voice.

You pointed out some stuff that didn't come to my mind at first, but now they are so obvious !

I still have a problem with the overall compression, the master one. I will reduce the ratio a bit to let the voice grow and get some dynamic too.

I will post the result asap, thanks again !
Glad you found some useful stuff from my comments Smile

My advice to you is not to rush it. Take your time and listen to your mix on various devices (different headphones/speakers). Give yourself some time between getting a mix dialled in and giving it another listen with fresh ears. I've often been amazed at the obvious things that I pick up when I do the above things Smile

Good luck!
Here we are ! Finally a V2 mix !

.mp3    The butterfly effect.mp3 --  (Download: 13.18 MB)