Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's my right - Lethan mix
Hello,
Dropping my mix. Any feedback are very welcome.
Cheers!
Lethan

.mp3    its my right mix.mp3 --  (Download: 9.86 MB)

Well, I could certainly hear everything. Smile

Maybe a bit too much bass thought. Also watch out for ~300 hz. Sounds like there may be some buildup there.

I also like what you did with the guitar solo.

Good mix...
Old West Audio
Listening on headphones, I can hear that the bass and the kick interfere with each other quite a bit. Consider adding a compressor on the bass that's got a fast attack & release, sidechained from the kick so it ducks the bass level just a few dB each time the kick comes in. Other than that, nice mix, great job.
(20-05-2015, 11:04 PM)londonmatt Wrote: Listening on headphones, I can hear that the bass and the kick interfere with each other quite a bit. Consider adding a compressor on the bass that's got a fast attack & release, sidechained from the kick so it ducks the bass level just a few dB each time the kick comes in. Other than that, nice mix, great job.

Thanks for the comment Londonmatt.
I will keep in mind your suggestion. I usually try to "dial" correct eq in the low end. Have never tried sidechain method yet. Smile
Martin
To hopefully shed a little more light on the subject...

What he's talking about is inserting a ducking compressor on the bass triggered by the kick drum. Nothing special about the device. It's still just a regular ole compressor but one that has an external input to the sidechain. The name is just a short-hand way of describing the setup he outlined. Many plugins allow this sort of operation, although there's no standard way of sending the signal so they are all DAW specific and you are probably best off using the native plugins that came with the DAW. Pro-tools calls this the "key input" and uses a little key icon for the button. It's more complicated with something like SONAR (which is what I use.) With this in place, when the kick drum goes, it dips the bass guitar down just a bit (it only takes two or three dB or usually so don't be overly aggressive) and then lets go when the kick dies off. It helps the bass guitar politely step out of the way for each hit. Do it right and no one will be able to tell it's there at all! Not needed if the bass player is experienced enough to lead the kick drum by a hair so that their attacks don't step on each other but can't expect that out of every player so this is a way to help patch that up.
Old West Audio
Thank you Azwayne for the input.
I am familiar with the subject, nevertheless did not try it yet.
I will give it a try next time to see if general results over low end processing got better. Im mixing on headphones and dont have much expectations due to low end i guess no matter what techniques i use.
Martin.

(04-06-2015, 08:08 AM)azwayne Wrote: To hopefully shed a little more light on the subject...

What he's talking about is inserting a ducking compressor on the bass triggered by the kick drum. Nothing special about the device. It's still just a regular ole compressor but one that has an external input to the sidechain. The name is just a short-hand way of describing the setup he outlined. Many plugins allow this sort of operation, although there's no standard way of sending the signal so they are all DAW specific and you are probably best off using the native plugins that came with the DAW. Pro-tools calls this the "key input" and uses a little key icon for the button. It's more complicated with something like SONAR (which is what I use.) With this in place, when the kick drum goes, it dips the bass guitar down just a bit (it only takes two or three dB or usually so don't be overly aggressive) and then lets go when the kick dies off. It helps the bass guitar politely step out of the way for each hit. Do it right and no one will be able to tell it's there at all! Not needed if the bass player is experienced enough to lead the kick drum by a hair so that their attacks don't step on each other but can't expect that out of every player so this is a way to help patch that up.

Yeah, headphones make mixing harder than it should be sometimes.
Old West Audio