Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Piece Of Me
I didn't know this site existed till about a week ago! This is the perfect platform for learning and comparing mixes of the same song. There is truly 1000 different ways to mix a song. This is one I saw and liked, so I figured why not give it a whirl.

A little premise. First there is no automation and I tried using some new to me techniques of group compression on everything. I also went about this more as a see how loud I can get it before it started really sounding bad game. This mix was also meant to sound a little heavier and crunched together. I did the entirety of the mix on headphones Sennheiser HD280's for reference and did not listen to it on my monitors on purpose. I also did the mix at a very low level as to listen to compression more. I'm sure there are more than a few flaws and one that stood out to me right away was the strings section in the bridge. I thought that would crunch in a little more, but it stayed pretty much intact and on top. I also only used the acoustic sounds from the drums. I didn't dig the samples so much. I also tried to leave as much of things alone as possible EQ wise. The vocals, most all of the guitars strings and piano are all straight up except for high and low passes. The acoustic is still bass heavy to me and I took a good chunk out of the low end too. The snare bottom is really not needed and although I used it, it was more for snap. The top snare required a hefty addition in the 5k area to get some crack out of it. I tried to not have the kick and snare lead the song, so to some they may be a little low in the mix? I wanted them to be just in there, again to help acquire volume.

I am open to tips and opinions and interested in feedback on if the mix was crushed too much? I know there is some crunching, but this was an experiment for me to see what I could get and if that was too far in others peoples opinions.

.mp3    Piece Of Me.mp3 --  (Download: 12.21 MB)

Well after listening on an actual set of monitors I can see I have more than a couple of issues. The bass guitar is prominent and the mix as whole is bass heavy. Surprised I was able to get it as loud as I did. My next rendition was to have a more dynamic version, it would appear however that I need to reference with studio monitors though.
I'm happy to listen to your new mix =) The old one was promising but needed more seperation. Maybe you have to remove more bottom end on the guitars to give the bass and kick more space.

if you use the snare sample you don't have to eq the snare that much. of course you can't use the same volume for the snare sample in every part and you have to bring it down in the quieter parts. same goes for the kick.