Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The English Actor_mix by Tommy Marcinek
Angel

O.K., here's the scoop: I heard this more like a dance/club tune the more I listened to it. Sooooooooooooo, I went a bit crazy and did some interesting things. I kept the driving quarter note kick in there the whole time (except for a few breaks). I added a hi-hat with a hand clap on two and four in there (didn't use the hi hat track that came with this), sound replaced the snare (which doesn't occur often in the song), added a tambourine in places. I don't know if the artists would like my interpretation of their song, but I had a blast doing this project and I always learn something new with each one I do. Hope ya'll like it.....feedback please, and thanks.

Tom
P.S. Had to do a lot of pitch correction on the vocals. I used Melodyne Editor....love that program....it's very flexible. :-)

.mp3    The English Actor_9.mp3 --  (Download: 8.11 MB)

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
I lie how you think. I did mine somewhat like a club mix too. Heavy on the kick Smile
Your limiter is pumping a little too much here though.
The guitars could be a bit more prominent.
Loving the extra rhythms here!
FXOjafar,

Thanks for your feedback. I loved your version....see my comments on your post.

As for my mix: That pumping you hear is on purpose. It is side-chain compression applied to the synth pads as triggered by the kick. They do this in nearly all House, Club, Dance tunes. You can really hear it applied heavily on the pad at around 3:00 before the fade. I've heard some dance tunes where the whole band was pulsing, but that is too extreme, I think. As for the guitars, I didn't want them too prominent because normally you don't hear distorted guitars as a backdrop in dance tunes, although there are no rules in music....thankfully. :-)

Peace,

Tom

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
(14-04-2015, 04:15 AM)tjmtruth Wrote: P.S. Had to do a lot of pitch correction on the vocals. I used Melodyne Editor....love that program....it's very flexible. :-)

You're right. I'm quite surprised that many people didn't care to fix the vocals before submitting their mix. Confused