Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Passing Ships
Really nice song, beautifully played, arranged and recorded. Here's my attempt at mixing it.

.mp3    passingships.mp3 --  (Download: 9.61 MB)

Hi there

I find your mix to be very good! :-)

I really like that it's very dry, it makes a really good song even more interesting to listen to to me.

The main vocal sounds briliant and it sits perfectly in the mix even when the intensity of everything around it changes a lot.

To give you some constructive critisim too, I would have preferred less lo-mid in the toms or the toms lower in the mix from 3:38, in my view they rumble to much and takes too much focus, but this is a tiny detail almost not worth mentioning.

In short, a really good mix!!

kjell

Hi, thanks very much for the comments! You're right about the toms, definitely too loud and out of place Big Grin

-olli
Hey Olli, from the start this sounds great [though I'd prefer the voc without the lip smacks], really very impressive stuff. Yeah the toms are a bit much but I know they were difficult, a struggle to get them heard without popping out. But I love how eveything has a chance to shine. It's great, glad I had a listen.
I like the first half, the dry vocals and balances feel nice! The second half I feel pulled to the left side. BGV's and strings felt more weighty on the left. Nice job!
like the opening...vocals and piano sound nice....and strings come in nicely too.

Getting vocal resonance in lower register....needs some surgical EQ. Also fair bit of resonance building up at 120hz with drums and bass ...especially noticeable in final vamp.

Stereo image seems a bit narrow - maybe because both the acoustic and melody electric sound panned down the middle and are competing with lead vocal for attention
Another interesting mix I heard, vocals sound nice and full. It is drier than my mix of the same song, but it works. The only thing that really bothers me is the electric guitar on the right in 2:17. Snare drum sounds great.
Great mix ,enjoyed it.
It's a pretty good mix. Just needs some of the tweaks that people recommended above. But considering it's over a year and a half old I'm sure he's moved on by now.

I like this band. I need to do another version of their other song Quicksand.