Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My take on this wonderful song
I'm new to the forum and new to the world of bedroom production having only started it as a hobby with no prior knowledge just under a year ago. Making and mixing music has become the single most satisfying and rewarding thing I've ever done in my life Smile

The vibe of this song reminds me of the band +Live+ from the Throwing Copper era (more specifically the song "T.B.D" from that album).

Here's a summary of how I approached this mix:

Overall, the recording was pretty good apart from noise in certain parts that needed to be gated out. I didn't use any effects except reverb and delay and some saturation because I liked the general direction that the raw tracks were headed anyway and I wanted to stick close to what the musicians' vision for the song was.

Really liked how all the different guitars worked together through the song. Really liked the amp tone as well. The main thing with the guitars was getting the right levels and EQ'ing to carve out space for everything.

I felt that the bass guitar was very much the "glue" for most of this song so I kept it prominent and thick in the mix. I felt that the second bass guitar track was not necessary and I actually found it distracting so I removed it entirely.

Drum mics were out of phase so fixing that gave some well needed punch back.

The bell ring was almost always out of time so I fixed that.

I took the time to ride the fader on the vocals when I was doing my automation. I find this really helps keep the words clear especially in the mix with everything else. I wasn't really feeling the delayed vocals. Personal preference really. It never seemed to quite sync up for me. After trying to move those bits around to get the delay to sound right, I ended up deciding to use it like a harmony instead with 2 tracks panned hard left and right and shifting them out of sync with each other so it wouldn't just end up sounding like it was down the middle.

Thanks in advance for listening Smile

Edit:
I've removed older versions and uploaded my final mix to this post. I acted on feedback from others in this thread as well as updated things that I identified myself.

.mp3    AnUltraVioletApology.mp3 --  (Download: 12.66 MB)

Nice mix!!
I really like the balance.
I found the same issues with the drum mics and the bell ring Big Grin.
Hi Shade,

Thanks for taking the time to check out my mix and to reply. Glad that you liked it Smile

Sounds good!

The only things which I question is the level of the vocal and maybe the gt in the rt speaker(verse). The vocal seem to be up front a little to much being its like he is whispering and being more lad back.The gt also seems to be a little bright 3k area.

The sounds of everything is good ,but the vocal interpetation might be all this need in imho.

The vocal level is fine around 3.31 watch that bv at 3.57 its rt on the edge of being harsh.

Great job! thanks for the details on what you did.
Hey jerze,

Thanks for your compliments and your constructive feedback.

I will investigate all the areas that you highlighted when I get a chance to work on the mix again. Apart from your feedback, as it always goes with these things, after a few days break, listening to it again now, there are small things here, there and everywhere that I want to adjust.

I am pretty pleased with that first attempt though. I don't think that it was too far off the mark and I'm glad to hear that you felt the same way about it Smile
Hey again jerze,

I took all your feedback on board and worked on those areas. I tamed the sections that were bright and those bits that were bordering on harsh as well. I've done a lot more automation overall to try and keep levels in a good place. Of all things, the shaker was one area that I needed to automate that I hadn't done before Smile

Your advice on the vocal level was the biggest change overall though and I've handled the quieter bits with more delicacy than before. I feel this really helped the overall mix as the vocals no longer feel like they are floating above everything. Thanks for that Smile

I've attached the new version to the first post. Hope that you like it.
Of course, this morning on my way in to work, I heard something that I didn't like (a guitar in the left channel that is now too loud after other things were adjusted down). More evidence why you should never release anything before reviewing with fresh ears a day later at least Smile

I've now updated the first post in this thread with my final mix.