Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patrick Talbot - Blue
I thought this was a really cool little song. It reminded me of the Zombies (especially the vocal), who I like a lot. I really tried not to overdo anything because it already sounded pretty good and I felt like the song needed to breathe.
I did do a little bit of parallel compression on the kick and snare but only put a little in the mix so the drums still sounded pretty roomy. I did some EQing to separate the guitars from the keys and the kick from the bass. I also compressed the bass to clean it up a bit and added a short delay to make it fuller. The biggest problem I had was just the vocal level being kind of in and out so I automated it as best I could and then compressed it. I also added some saturation and some reverb to the vocals.
Overall I'm pretty happy with the way it came out. It was a great song to work with and I feel like I did more to help the vibe than to kill it. I hope y'all enjoy it and I did this for a class project so any and all feedback is more than welcome and greatly appreciated! Peace~

.mp3    Patrick Talbot_Blue_Bounce.mp3 --  (Download: 10.25 MB)

Cool mix Aaron, I think you did well! Smile
I know what you mean about the vocals, unfortunately I recorded it with a SM57 and too close, which was a big mistake and results in uneven sound, boomy and sibilant. But you did well with the material, and I think it sounds really good.
The only advice I could give you would be to automate an EQ on that vocal to get a more even sound, for example the "living a fantasy world" phrase at 0:58 and the "embracing life like there's no other" at 1:11 are very dark (this was comped from a few takes), so I would try to brighten these at least... Then maybe you could add a little bit of subtle delay on the vocal and tuck it under...
Your mix is a delicate one and did respect the theme which is light and dreamy.
I like it. Very nice job! Smile
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here