Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About This Multitrack
You can find the multitrack files for this project in the 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library.

Before posting a mix, please read The Three Commandments!
Please post your mix as a new thread, rather than as a reply to this sticky.

Here's some more project info you might find useful:
  • About The Raw Multitracks:
    • The drums tracks include stereo overheads, mono room mic, and close mics for kick, snare (over, under), hi-hat, and two toms. The tom mics have been edited to reduce spill, and at some points appear to have been replaced with samples.
    • There's a single track of miked bass-guitar amp, and the solo electric guitar line has also been miked up, but the three main rhythm guitar parts are all provided just as DI signals.
    • The lead vocal has been performed in alternating lines across two tracks, and there's also a stereo track with mob refrains.
  • Challenges You're Likely To Face:
    • Although in general the drum recording is rather good, there's a tremendous amount of detail in metal drumming like this, some of which inevitably will need rebalancing if you want it to carry through the wall of guitars.
    • The snare mics don't seem to have a very promising phase-relationship on the raw multitrack, yet flipping the polarity button makes very little difference.
    • There's quite a lot of hat in the room mic, which might end up being a bit overbearing.
    • Although having the rhythm guitars as DIs does give you complete flexibility in terms of tailoring guitar sounds to suit your mix, it will take time (and some experience of the style) to dial up suitable tones. You may also be at the mercy of software amplifier simulations, which can be rather hit and miss.
    • Even with the lead vocals soloed I struggle to make out the words, so retaining any lyric intelligibility in this mix is likely to be a tall order.
  • Some Mixing Tips: Although this isn't a mix I've attempted myself, here are some suggestions that come to mind:
    • For the snare drum mics, I'd experiment with timing offsets and maybe even phase rotation to try to get a more solid tone.
    • Don't just rely on compression to control the drum dynamics, because automation will probably be better for rebalancing any sections of the performance that are over/under-played.
    • If you opt to use software amp simulation to flesh out those guitar DI signals, try to avoid using the same brand of simulation for them all. In my experience, you'll get a fuller tone if you mix and match amp-simulators from different software developers.
    • Consider bussing the kick and bass through the same compressor to help keep the low end in check.
    • Although you need to be careful that your guitar parts don't muddy the low midrange, you still need to give them enough energy there so that you get a good, solid, stereo 'chug' to the rhythms.
    • This multitrack was originally made available for this thread on the Ultimate Metal forum, so there are lots of mix versions you can listen to there, as well as plenty of related discussion -- although you're welcome to post here too!

If you have any other general questions about this multitrack, just reply to this post and I'll see what I can do.
this mix already sounds great, haha. Seems like afun project to play around with though. This is not Death Metal BTW. I would say more hardcore vocals