Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About This Multitrack
You can find the multitrack files for this project in the 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library.

Before posting a mix, please read The Three Commandments!
Please post your mix as a new thread, rather than as a reply to this sticky.

Here's some more project info you might find useful:
  • About The Raw Multitracks:
    • The drums tracks are capacious: stereo overheads; stereo room ambience; close mics for snare (over, under) and four toms; a triggered kick track; six tracks of mono tom samples; a hyped stereo submix with effects, which only appears for certain sections of the song; and three mixed mono tracks of glitchcore drum programming.
    • The bass is provided as a clean DI signal and an overdriven Sebatron channel.
    • Guitars are all DI signals only, comprising a double-tracked lead part and quad-tracked rhythm.
    • There are three stereo and two mono synths available, although some of these tracks contain more than one sound. Seperate stereo sampled choir patches are provided for male and female ensembles.
    • The lead vocal is double-tracked throughout, and quad-tracked for some sections, including all the choruses. Both lines of the final two-part harmony are triple-tracked.
    • Eight tracks of layered backing vocals vary between unison and two-part harmony textures.
  • Challenges You're Likely To Face:
    • There are a lot of tracks here to get your head around, and the style isn't locked to any sense of 'natural' real-world sonics, so it's easy to drown in all the options.
    • The triggered kick track has some dynamic changes in it that don't always seem to support the flow of the music.
    • The live tom tracks do ring quite a lot in sympathy with the other kit pieces.
    • The roles of some of the different lead and backing vocal tracks change through the timeline, so processing that suits some of the track may not work for other sections.
    • Although having the rhythm guitars as DIs does give you complete flexibility in terms of tailoring guitar sounds to suit your mix, it will take time to dial up suitable tones. You may also be at the mercy of software amplifier simulations, which can be rather hit and miss.
    • The vocalist's tone changes quite considerably as he shifts between his breathier head voice and more strained chest-voice delivery. This presents problems when it comes to processing it to sit consistently in the mix.
  • Some Mixing Tips: Although this isn't a mix I've attempted myself, here are some suggestions that come to mind:
    • Try to decide on a definite game-plan for tackling all those tracks, so that you get the most important ones in early -- otherwise you'll probably run out of mix real-estate and/or computer CPU power too quickly.
    • Personally, I'd see how far you can take the sound of the live drum tracks before you start adding any of the samples in. That'll give you an opportunity to deal with any phase tweaking you want to do, as well as providing a better idea of how the natural balance of the kit functions.
    • The bass sound is great, so I'd try to get that into the mix pretty much from the start, so that you're encouraged to fit other things around it rather than processing it too heavily.
    • If you opt to use software amp simulation to flesh out those guitar DI signals, try to avoid using the same brand of simulation for them all. In my experience, you'll get a fuller tone if you mix and match amp-simulators from different software developers.
    • Mult out the vocal and synth parts so you can process and control similar lines together. If that means increasing the track-count, then just try to keep everything organised in folders/groups so you don't get lost amongst all the channels.
    • Even though all the vocals and guitars have lots of unison layers provided, that doesn't mean you have to use them all for the whole song. Varying the number of layers can be a very effective arrangment tool.
    • There's lots of discussion available about this multitrack over on Mixoff.org, where it served as the basis of a mix-off competition presided over by author Ermin Hamidovic. There are plenty of versions of the mix on that thread -- although you're welcome to post mixes for feedback here as well, of course!

If you have any other general questions about this multitrack, just reply to this post and I'll see what I can do.
a note for others attempting this mix, it's great practice for editing vocals, and the amount of options you have for the song will teach you a great deal about committing to a sound, rather than leaving it all up in the air.

i maade the mistake of listening to ermins mix of the song before posting mine...now i'll never be happy with what i've done. but when i'm done i'll post it up.
Multitrack source is down, please re-up!
Thanks.
(08-11-2013, 07:39 PM)Tmny Wrote: Multitrack source is down, please re-up!

The link had been changed -- it should now be updated, although you might have to refresh the page to see the updated link in your browser. Thanks for letting me know! Smile There was another link down from that site too...