Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Brew - What I Want Juanra Ortiz's Mix
Hi guys
This song are extremely well performance and record. I felt the vibe. Really good vocal and bass performance. It was a very fun song to mix.
I couldn't find the tempo anywhere so I will tell the future mixers it is 99.25. I did not use any of the drums rooms included. I recreate my own space. Snare and toms need some peak control. I used different compression stages and limiter to control them. Some automation too. Snare is full of resonance. I used multiband compressor to suck them out around 400 to 900 Hz. I then used 3 or 4 notch filters. I use only samples in the kick. I felt it needs more attack and I couldn't get it of the raw track. I didn't use snare samples in this one. I use RBass to give the bass a lot of deep and fat sound and be heard in small speaker easily. I think this song recalls for that sub bass sound. Same with the raw kick.
I mult the vocals by each song structure part: verse, prechorus and chorus. I treat them separately with delays and reverbs. Much wet in choruses. Much dry in verses. Final lead vocal phrases are very dramatic and full of emotions so I wet them more.

That was the summary in the mixing stage =)

I mastered today. I used a tiny amount of reverb to gain more glue. Then I compressed it allowing 2dB of GR. I felt it needs some warmth in the mids, so I did a small boost there. Boost some highs and lows too to gain more clarity and deep. I used some tracks of King of Leon and Muse to check my tonal balance. Before EQ I use a softclipper and then the L2 to get a decent loud performance. Some Nebula programs are in there too to warmth the track it ala analog way.

Please feel free to comment.

----------------------
Edit:
v2.0 has been uploaded with some little tweaks. Snare and kick were reprocessed and parallel compression too to give more open sound and cut better. Bass was raise a 1/4 of dB. BG vocals were down and chorus vocals up.

v3.0. More tweaks. I wake up this morning feeling it needs a few little adjustment in balance and tonal shapping. Hope v3.0 is better than v1.0 for you guys.
I will move on to the next project.
Greetings.

.mp3    The Brew - What I want Final Master.mp3 --  (Download: 8.81 MB)

.mp3    The Brew - What I want Final master v2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.81 MB)

.mp3    The Brew - What I want Final Master v3.mp3 --  (Download: 8.81 MB)

Juanra Ortiz
http://www.lacuevastudio.com
[email protected]
Production | Tracking | Mixing | Mastering
Check out my other mixes here.
Another great mix of yours !

Just listened to it on small speakers (MacBookPro and iphone ! always start listening on the most shitty stuff Smile )
And it sounds super fine...

I won't make any constructive criticism before passing it though the main monitors and the car (another very powerfull tool to check mixes when you got the same system in it for years ....)

But all i can tell for now is i'm pretty sure i'm gonna love it and won't have many things to tell except artistic choices like your delays on lead vocals.... but that's my humble and very subjective opinion !

See you in a while for a second and more professionnal listening !

Good job dude !
Second listening on Focal monitors.

Little details ... very little, and not that objective, but on my way to critic something so :

- The snare feels a bit "woody" to me, i don't know if i'm clear. It's kind of stuck between 200 and 1k, but something's missing in my humble opinion in the 2-3k region, to make it more open.
Your long reverb on the snare is for me too long, but it's a choice i do respect, as it gives a certain amount of depth. I would have been more into a roomy kind of verb, more ambiance, early ref, to make it glue the drums.

- Your kick choice is ...wel.. a choice ! I liked the one which was recorded, but why not using sample instead ! It sounds good, but it sounds ... as a sample does : far from the rest of the kit. Maybe you could mix sample and tracking... there's a huge space around the snare, and almost none on the kick, that feels strange to me but we're really talking details ! Smile

- Your lead vocal could be a few cents of dBs up maybe (compared to the bkv it's obvious...)

- Bass sounds good, guitars too, piano too, for those, nothing much to say ! maybe the bass could be a little deeper in the low end, as it was really good recorded ! (i love that sound ... )

- Your overall master is a little soft in the high end to me, but it's well done in terms of dynamics. Mine is too compressed i think compared to yours.

But above all, i maintain what i said earlier : this is a really good mix !

Congrat's !
Hey dude.
Thank you for your time and feedback. Gonna check my mix. I'm not happy with my snare neither and my kick, well... today I'm not totally convince too about the tone. I like the raw track but felt it needs some attack enhencer. I thing something is missing in both. I think vocals need a few dBs up. You're right!!!. I will check the tonal balance in the mastering stage for that top end. I will do a few tweaks to the mix and pass it to my master project without touching the overhall tone in the mixing stage. That's the way I prefer really "repair" a mix. I will upload version 2 and tell you.
Do you really don't like my delays? =S I think they are great artistic election. But as you said, reverds and delays are all subjetives. I felt I need to emphatise some key words in the lyrics.
I think bass is deeper now. Maybe 1dB up would help.
Thank again for all you comments. This community is amazing. I will check the others mixes of this song and will give some feedback too as soon as I have the time.
Thanks Xabi. I really appreciate it.
Greetings.
Juanra Ortiz
[email protected]
I'm supposing you're my client. Of course, my clients don't talk about those technicals changes you mean to =)
I've made some tweaks. Vocals are a few points of dBs up to get more balance with the vocals group part. Bass have been risen too just a little. I've re-EQ kick and snare. I'm now very happy with the final sound overhall.
In the mastering stage I raise the gain of my high shelf a few points for clarity.
If you were my client, now you will be happy?
Thanks dude again for your time and feedback.
Juanra Ortiz
[email protected]
I would like a fuller kick and snare. I find them small to the rest of the mix. Like your effects toying on the lead. Maybe a tad much on the chorus. Wonder if it would clear up if effects was focused more to the "long" notes. Echos are epic.
I definitely agree with Mange for kick and snare ! The rest of the mix kind of lead them to be much more thicker and open.
Cymbales could be brighter too, trying to avoid the harshness i forgot to take care of in my mix Wink

I also notice that you made a common "mistake", well, not mistake, but a point we usually don't spend time enough when mixing: toms !
Your toms could be much richer and powerful ! like biiiiiiiiiig faaaaaaaaat low tom ..... Smile see what i mean ?
I find myself spending a lot of time on toms now, something i did not when i started mixing years ago... and now, in certain styles of music, it requires our main attention ! it can be so powerfull when the drum fill is well written and played...
I think this is the case here... you should work on the tom's sound a little more ...

Your overall master sound a little agressive in the 2k-3k ... and therefore a little thin in the low end... maybe you could try to re EQ it, very subtle, as mastering EQ is...

Hey, you can also say to me : "damn, this will never end!!!" and i'd be ok with you... sometimes we got to say it's over and good Smile But aren't we here to improve and practice ?

What you could do for your next mix, which i did for Wesley Morgan song, is giving to yoursel like 4 or 6 hours to mix and master a song, and never come back to tweak it ! it's a very good exercise that makes you go to the essential Smile

Have a nice day
Very good balance on the mix and very good compression going on kick!In general, i like it a lot.
For my taste, i would love some extra beef on that snare and more wet on reverbs and less on dlys
bat that just me, very good job!
That will be my next mix Smile