Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Black Crown - Cage (boomaga mix)
This song grew on me !    I think it's got some fine hooks, and reminds me most of Tool.  
   The instrumental performances are just about flawless.  It is a pleasure to not have to dial in any sort of sound for guitar tracks because they just sound so nice au naturel.   I heard a lot of other mixers of this track feel it necessary to put a reverb on the clean guitar track in verse 1 & 2 but I think it's best dry.   There were two bass tracks labeled DI and Amp, but they were bit-for-bit exact copies so I jettisoned one.
    The drums were played on an electronic trigger kit, well chosen patches, but there's no bleed between mics to marry them and no "air."   We are given a nice couple of room mixes though, which is thoughtful.  I found the Drum Room Stereo track to have kinda too much washy splashy cymbals that I wanted to dial down.  If I'd been really on point I would have built up my own drum room sound and squashed it, but I didn't. 
    I did some rider fading between the vocals and guitars during the choruses just so there's more of an envelope for each.   But they're mouse fader-moves, I miss my mixing board. I mean it's just downstairs, I didn't sell it.  
    I thought about comping between the lead vocal takes but I decided to tune them and stick em together.  I like how he recorded it and kept it that way - lead voc solo on some lines, doubled on others.  I believe the tuning helps in so many ways.   
    At the end of the day I'm sure I'm going to remix this when I get some perspective.   I might have the mix too crowded in the choruses (the mixdown does have a mag tape emulator compression)

.mp3    The Black Crown - Cage (boomaga mix v5).mp3 --  (Download: 11.89 MB)

boomaga  (Drew Perkins)
MTSU Mass Comm Recording Industry, BS in Audio Recording Production & Tech, 2004
 using Cubase 10

Gear List
(09-08-2020, 11:56 PM)boomaga Wrote: This song grew on me !    I think it's got some fine hooks, and reminds me most of Tool.  
   The instrumental performances are just about flawless.  It is a pleasure to not have to dial in any sort of sound for guitar tracks because they just sound so nice au naturel.   I heard a lot of other mixers of this track feel it necessary to put a reverb on the clean guitar track in verse 1 & 2 but I think it's best dry.   There were two bass tracks labeled DI and Amp, but they were bit-for-bit exact copies so I jettisoned one.
    The drums were played on an electronic trigger kit, well chosen patches, but there's no bleed between mics to marry them and no "air."   We are given a nice couple of room mixes though, which is thoughtful.  I found the Drum Room Stereo track to have kinda too much washy splashy cymbals that I wanted to dial down.  If I'd been really on point I would have built up my own drum room sound and squashed it, but I didn't. 
    I did some rider fading between the vocals and guitars during the choruses just so there's more of an envelope for each.   But they're mouse fader-moves, I miss my mixing board. I mean it's just downstairs, I didn't sell it.  
    I thought about comping between the lead vocal takes but I decided to tune them and stick em together.  I like how he recorded it and kept it that way - lead voc solo on some lines, doubled on others.  I believe the tuning helps in so many ways.   
    At the end of the day I'm sure I'm going to remix this when I get some perspective.   I might have the mix too crowded in the choruses (the mixdown does have a mag tape emulator compression)
Drums especially toms and snare sound dull they need more punch and attack and see how that sounds....
(10-08-2020, 09:52 PM)warlord62864 Wrote:
(09-08-2020, 11:56 PM)boomaga Wrote: This song grew on me !    I think it's got some fine hooks, and reminds me most of Tool.  
Drums especially toms and snare sound dull they need more punch and attack and see how that sounds....
   Funny you should mention that, a previous mix of mine had them much more prominent but I've dialed them back.  I'm going to step away and come back to it later.  Thanks !
boomaga  (Drew Perkins)
MTSU Mass Comm Recording Industry, BS in Audio Recording Production & Tech, 2004
 using Cubase 10

Gear List
(11-08-2020, 09:53 PM)boomaga Wrote:
(10-08-2020, 09:52 PM)warlord62864 Wrote:
   Funny you should mention that, a previous mix of mine had them much more prominent but I've dialed them back.  I'm going to step away and come back to it later.  Thanks !
Well I believe its ok for them to be a little dominent but they need to have punch and attack and be put in there place in the mix...There are several aspects to your mix that are spot on but sometimes less is more but for the most part good job man thanks for sharing....
I agree about the drums. They do need a little energy. Vocal tuning is a bit overused but thats your personal taste. 
On another note, I couldnt listen to the whole track, the website stops it. Doss that happen to everyone?
fwiw   still happy with the mix except for the midrange fog at the end

.mp3    The Black Crown - Cage (boomaga mix Dec 20).mp3 --  (Download: 11.89 MB)

boomaga  (Drew Perkins)
 using Cubase 10

Gear List