Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Digital Only LUNA Late Night Symphony
Hello my lovers,

So with the release of LUNA, UADs premier DAW, I thought I would get my hands dirty with it and throw a mix together.

It did not disappoint (except it is a CPU hungry bastard).

So this is the first mix I've ever made with LUNA and coupled with a great recording I was able to get this mix sounding epic in no time at all. Nothing doubled or resampled. And I gotta say the drum recording was particularly good.

Thanks, and please comment!

.mp3    MagiciansNephew_SymphonyOfSilenceM1.1.mp3 --  (Download: 6.89 MB)

~
Other Mixes
Hey Quathamer! Heavy as fuck Smile Almost 2 heavy haha, but still cool. I like balls to the mat mixing. To me the drums are a bit washy and loud in context in the overheads, but yea u sure made it slammy. I think that the vocals could have been a bit less wide and chorusy.
(15-04-2020, 03:29 PM)crownoise Wrote: Hey Quathamer! Heavy as fuck Smile Almost 2 heavy haha, but still cool. I like balls to the mat mixing. To me the drums are a bit washy and loud in context in the overheads, but yea u sure made it slammy. I think that the vocals could have been a bit less wide and chorusy.

Hey mate, hope you're well.

Well, I'm glad to hear you say that because I didn't think it was heavy enough, but that's exactly what I was going for. A nice, dense, crunchy, punchy sound to make this otherwise flat arrangement sound a little more interesting and different. And as I was mixing the vocals, there was something nice about the width that stuck with me, and that's why I chose to go that way. Perhaps you feel like they are a bit wide and chorusy because everyone else's mixes are dry and narrow? I don't know.
~
Other Mixes
This does a good job demonstrating the big sound of LUNA, I haven't had a chance to check it out yet but will have a peek now that I've heard this mix, it sounds really good to me.
M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.
(18-04-2020, 02:58 PM)Digitaldruglord Wrote: This does a good job demonstrating the big sound of LUNA, I haven't had a chance to check it out yet but will have a peek now that I've heard this mix, it sounds really good to me.

Hey mate,

Yeah I'll be honest, it does sound great but I don't know if I'll be mixing on it again until they release some updates. It was really painful to use due to some issues with it. Mainly that there is no freezing/resampling options and you can't export to MP3 for instance.

That been said, I honestly felt like I was mixing on a Neve console because of the neve summing on it. It felt and sounded so good, and I used a quarter of the plugins I would usually need to use to achieve the same sound. If you've got UAD Apollo or Arrow it's free, and you can demo the Neve summing in it for 2 weeks free as well (though at this stage, until they release an update to fix CPU issues, I won't be buying/using it).
~
Other Mixes
Which Neve? An 8078 or a VR60? I kid, of course but like to press.

I like the weight. The vocal effects are a bit distracting and they feel disconnected from the band a bit. The bass gets lost. I feel it but don't hear it, if that makes sense. Things are a bit muddy and gelled together but that's not a bad thing. Musically it's just one congealed mass. It works and maybe it's for the best. It's not a complaint. But musically it just feels like one entity. The vocal effects do bother me tho.

Overall it's pleasing to listen to. I'll give credit to you and not LUNA. I don't even know what LUNA is but never blame gear for what you present for better or worse.

Good job.
(18-04-2020, 05:17 PM)RoyM Wrote: Which Neve? An 8078 or a VR60? I kid, of course but like to press.

I like the weight. The vocal effects are a bit distracting and they feel disconnected from the band a bit. The bass gets lost. I feel it but don't hear it, if that makes sense. Things are a bit muddy and gelled together but that's not a bad thing. Musically it's just one congealed mass. It works and maybe it's for the best. It's not a complaint. But musically it just feels like one entity. The vocal effects do bother me tho.

Overall it's pleasing to listen to. I'll give credit to you and not LUNA. I don't even know what LUNA is but never blame gear for what you present for better or worse.

Good job.

Hey mate,

I've only been able to sit behind a custom 75 but as far as I'm concerned it gave me the same sort of vibe as when I turned on the Neve summing. Of course, I was also using UAD Neve RS88 channel strips to complete the effect haha. But nothing really compares to sitting behind a real desk and have your session pass through quality circuitry.

Thanks for the compliments there as well, I really appreciate it. I agree with everything you mentioned and would probably start fresh if I was to revisit the mix again. I don't mind the heaviness and gelled feel of the mix, but the vocals were hard to really get interesting/different and sounding like they were supposed to be there. I guess I just got tired of hearing the song and hit mixdown before I gave up on it completely.

Thanks again mate. It's a tough song.
~
Other Mixes
To be fair I've only been briefly behind an 8078. "The" 8078 I suppose, but still. The sounds are different among different consoles. I don't mean to challenge but present that there are different sounds. "Neve"ness can vary.

It's all good. I like the heaviness and gelling. It feels good. But yeah, the vocals are the most important part. Speaking for myself I'd rather have amazing vocals and a lame band mix as opposed to the opposite. Again, not a challenge or anything. Just a philosophical thought. I've been making too many people angry these days...
(18-04-2020, 05:36 PM)RoyM Wrote: ... Speaking for myself I'd rather have amazing vocals and a lame band mix as opposed to the opposite. Again, not a challenge or anything. Just a philosophical thought. I've been making too many people angry these days...

Well, nothing wrong with that. I would prefer people spoke their minds a little more often, especially if they know what they are talking about. I think I would dismiss your criticism if you just came with heavy handed comments without going into detail, but because you spend the time making your thoughts and reasoning clear, I can dig it.

And I don't think you should hold back on your comments to the others either. They need to hear it. I certainly do and in a similar way I don't hold back because you never know how much good your comment could do to help them. Always telling people they are awesome isn't helpful.
~
Other Mixes
(18-04-2020, 05:48 PM)Quathamer Wrote:
(18-04-2020, 05:36 PM)RoyM Wrote: ... Speaking for myself I'd rather have amazing vocals and a lame band mix as opposed to the opposite. Again, not a challenge or anything. Just a philosophical thought. I've been making too many people angry these days...

Well, nothing wrong with that. I would prefer people spoke their minds a little more often, especially if they know what they are talking about. I think I would dismiss your criticism if you just came with heavy handed comments without going into detail, but because you spend the time making your thoughts and reasoning clear, I can dig it.

And I don't think you should hold back on your comments to the others either. They need to hear it. I certainly do and in a similar way I don't hold back because you never know how much good your comment could do to help them. Always telling people they are awesome isn't helpful.

Cheers