Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
Kat Wright CONTACT #4(fun and complicated mix)
Hard points on this mix is the vocals and the drums. It's hard to make the two work well.. especially that snare bleed from the mic.

Anyways here is my mix. Hope you hear something good through your end. Comments much appreciated.
Thanks guys!

-------------------Update
boosted the horns a few dbs at the end.. found them really fighting with the vocals so i really sticked with same level in the first parts. I also boosted the vocals a tiny bit.
Thanks for comments.

------------------Update2
fixed some essing issues, dropped volume to not clip on master.. spread the master more. Hope this sounds better than #3

.mp3    02KatWright.mp3 --  (Download: 12.43 MB)

.mp3    03KatWright.mp3 --  (Download: 12.43 MB)

.mp3    04KatWright.mp3 --  (Download: 12.43 MB)

The parts you defined as difficult you handled beautifully. Everything is full and clear. I would have like to hear the horns breathe a bit more especially in the horn break. They also don't seem to come along as the energy builds towards the end of the song. The vocal is silky smooth and clear. Over-all, very nicely done.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(26-07-2019, 12:58 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: The parts you defined as difficult you handled beautifully. Everything is full and clear. I would have like to hear the horns breathe a bit more especially in the horn break. They also don't seem to come along as the energy builds towards the end of the song. The vocal is silky smooth and clear. Over-all, very nicely done.

Thanks for the input. I will boost those horns a couple of dbs and see if I can automate that section at the end to go along with the energy of the rest of the mix. Your comment is much appreciated.
Yeah. It feels really good. I could use more horns. It's a pretty flat song so those horns really help the overall dynamic. I really like the spring verb on the guitar.
(26-07-2019, 05:30 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Yeah. It feels really good. I could use more horns. It's a pretty flat song so those horns really help the overall dynamic. I really like the spring verb on the guitar.

Noted. I boosted the horns a few db. Thanks for listening to it.
Well i love the guitar on this. A bit right panned but nice and clear (somehow I'm struggling with it trying to get it widespread i think this doesn't work out good due to phase issues so your approach is probably better.) The vocals and brass are also nice, only the organ sounds a bit quite and muffled during the verses.
I had a quick listen to mix 03 only. Have you been exposed to loud sounds in the run up to mixing this? It has symptoms that suggest a loss of sensitivity.

The sibilance is really excessive and out of control, and the cymbals are brittle and harsh, for example. It's obvious to me that you are clipping this hard, REALLY hard. What's going on?
"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
Uh oh. That dreaded single star! LOL
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(27-07-2019, 09:12 AM)Thomas Mueller Wrote: Well i love the guitar on this. A bit right panned but nice and clear (somehow I'm struggling with it trying to get it widespread i think this doesn't work out good due to phase issues so your approach is probably better.) The vocals and brass are also nice, only the organ sounds a bit quite and muffled during the verses.

Yea I don't really do automation to be honest. new daw and have been lazy to get into automation here so it's all processing and faders.
thanks for the input glad it sounds decent to your ears.
(27-07-2019, 10:55 AM)Monk Wrote: I had a quick listen to mix 03 only. Have you been exposed to loud sounds in the run up to mixing this? It has symptoms that suggest a loss of sensitivity.

The sibilance is really excessive and out of control, and the cymbals are brittle and harsh, for example. It's obvious to me that you are clipping this hard, REALLY hard. What's going on?

No but i'm guilty as charged. I do squash the limiter on the masterbus trying to get a loud volume. I know I shouldn't do that but I can't help it sometimes. It should be about 4 db lower volume than what it is.. and this plus an exciter i use on the master bus makes that clipping you are talking about.
I don't think it's sensitivity loss from my part as I can hear that essing situation my self.. but honestly I didn't bother to get rid of it. Also as you probably know I live in apartments and just mix with headphones and they are not top of the line headphones so definitely not hearing that top end as clear as on your end forsure and this might or might not have something to do with it.

Will address this issue right now though because I KNOW you are right about that essing excess on the top end.