Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Georgia Wonder - Stepanie Grant - Siren
Here's my take on vocalist Stephanie Grant and musician Julian Moore's piece called "Siren". This was a very complex recording due to the many parts which could be arranged in many ways. It's a wonderful recording and the recording engineers are exceptionally good. I opted to pretty much use everything and not make it too intricate. I really enjoyed working on this and might try to make another version later on. I hope you all enjoy this and I welcome your comments if anyone has suggestions to make.

.mp3    Project Georgia Wonder - Siren.mp3 --  (Download: 16.43 MB)

.mp3    Project Georgia Wonder - Siren - Rev2.mp3 --  (Download: 16.43 MB)

Hey Christoff! Very clean, very tidy and neat mix, that's be its forte and weakness. It seems as if you mostly dropped the rhythm guitars (or they're so soft you can't only notice them in the break); everything feels cleaner and lighter as a result but also too peaceful, kinda sedated. Everything is tasty and nice, it just left me craving for some more urgency and grind. Kick-snare-bass combo is very solid.

Delay on the main verse vocal is sorta too prominent, I feel like you don't really need that when you have the DT track. And chorus vocals are too ethereal and soft sounding, kinda denying the tune from building up, since they are softer than the vocals for the other parts.

(23-01-2019, 05:01 PM)Deliza Wrote: Hey Christoff! Very clean, very tidy and neat mix, that's be its forte and weakness. It seems as if you mostly dropped the rhythm guitars (or they're so soft you can't only notice them in the break); everything feels cleaner and lighter as a result but also too peaceful, kinda sedated. Everything is tasty and nice, it just left me craving for some more urgency and grind. Kick-snare-bass combo is very solid.

Delay on the main verse vocal is sorta too prominent, I feel like you don't really need that when you have the DT track. And chorus vocals are too ethereal and soft sounding, kinda denying the tune from building up, since they are softer than the vocals for the other parts.

Hi Deliza,

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my mixing effort. I have read and understood your ideas and have re-edited it with them in mind. Please feel welcome to have a listen to my Rev2 version and let me know what you think. Regarding the delay sound you hear; I only applied a touch of reverb, but no additional delay, as it was burned into the original recording, as with many other instrumental effects...
Seems to me there were 59 tracks in all, so it was complex to manage.
Again, thanks so much for your interest;your ideas are spot-on!
Ah, maybe what I thought of as delay were just the double tracks in mono, so the natural different timing on the ending consonants fooled me. Anyway, v2 verses vocal is more focused and less distracting. Good work with the bridge part, I didn't think the low harmony could take too much exposure with that detached feeling, but you made it work.

Those 1 or 2 dBs down on the bass help a lot, now everything feels more balanced and make me go for the volume knob and crank up, which is good 'cos before I get deaf I want things loud!
(19-03-2019, 04:27 PM)Deliza Wrote: Ah, maybe what I thought of as delay were just the double tracks in mono, so the natural different timing on the ending consonants fooled me. Anyway, v2 verses vocal is more focused and less distracting. Good work with the bridge part, I didn't think the low harmony could take too much exposure with that detached feeling, but you made it work.

Those 1 or 2 dBs down on the bass help a lot, now everything feels more balanced and make me go for the volume knob and crank up, which is good 'cos before I get deaf I want things loud!

Deliza - Thanks so much for your kind response to my second mix. I apologize for taking so long responding to you, but I've be out traveling and haven't been online much. I definitely value your opinions and am here to learn more and improve my skills... trust me, I wasn't ignoring you. I've since uploaded a number of new efforts and welcome you to look them up if you wish. I'm very grateful for all those who make this resource available and value it a lot... thanks!