Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.86 Average
Hannes Keseberg - You Know Better -Post MS Review and Competition Final
Hey I like the feedback on your mixes....I could actually get pointers from others and apply them to your mix. My only gripe would be that you should leave the original mix and post a second attachment with the updated mix. That was I could pick up on the progress from start to finish. Thanks!
Hey, great work in general, i think that the bvs are a touch too loud as well as the whistles at the end. cheers
(12-01-2019, 05:02 AM)Cwidener7 Wrote: Hey I like the feedback on your mixes....I could actually get pointers from others and apply them to your mix. My only gripe would be that you should leave the original mix and post a second attachment with the updated mix. That was I could pick up on the progress from start to finish. Thanks!

If you have ever looked at some of my other posts, I have always left a trail of my progress with various iterations of my mixes. For some reason, I did not do that on this mix (there were only two versions). I too have asked others to leave the trail so a mix's progress can be heard.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(12-01-2019, 11:24 AM)Spandexcore Wrote: Hey, great work in general, i think that the bvs are a touch too loud as well as the whistles at the end. cheers

I have heard some complaints about the whistles but not the backing vocals. The whistles are the top of the volume climax of the mix (just worked out that way). That was my thinking on the levels.

Thanks for the listen and your input.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(12-01-2019, 04:22 AM)Vibhu Dixit Wrote: Wow. love it, Seriously it's awesome, especially that hard right panned guitar with that bright top-end and I also, really, like the way in which the delay is being used in the mix. Bass guitar was also clear, even on small speakers, that means bass guitar mid-range is also processed as it should be. I had a great time listening to it.

Keep up the Good Work.

Thanks! Smile
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(12-01-2019, 04:01 AM)alelak Wrote: Hey man...
I was listening carefuly your mix after listen some other and first of all, the best thing was your way of mixing, the way I think the best mix arise which is a combination of audio understanding and a good taste what at least for me means less is more. I say "less" because sounds cleand, balanced, there's nothing sounding extreme like a personal evidence, I mean, of course you mixed as you like, but nothing sounds overkill. I just finish my last version of this mix and will post now and how I was listening many other included yours, I confess...I don't can't judge now who did some sampling in the drums or some hard editing... but I could listen in your drum kit that somethings I had issues mixing is there, in this case, sidestick whith kick many times it's out of sync, and the hats befere and after some fills has losses on grooving and when I started mixing this kind of thing makes me sick! lol. I know it's something personal, but I really get stucked trying to do something with that and when I see I am listening things that sometimes doesn't exist... finding phases problens, well...maybe I have a obsessive compulsive disorder....and when it happens there's two solutions for me...or I just leave as it is and try to correct the best I can using beat detective and in worse cases elastic audio...or I just take a decision to resample the piece is boring me. But even with this irregular perfomance of the drummer (not saying he is not a good drummer), I just listening your mix whithout worrying if that...so, at least for me you leave it natural but in the context there is not drawing attention. Congrats. I want to "chill" my ears and listen again, and if I get something to share about it to improve, I write again!

Wow. A lot of thought went into your response. I hope there is something in my style and approach you can take away with you. In general I try not to do too much "correction" in a mix and tend to trust the artists and musicians and engineers who produced it to have determined what they recorded is what they are happy with. That is not to say I am not cognizant of phase issues and have aligned things in this mix. If I feel something is destroying the groove I will address it. However, I did not find anything in this that met that criteria. I also try to determine what the song is about. Too often I hear approaches to this type of content that would best be applicable on a metal or hard rock song. To me that is inappropriate. It is not necessarily wrong. My philosophy is listen first. My age and experience have a lot to do with my approach.

Thanks for your review and effort.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Very nice vocals! At the end of the contest I need to know your vocal track chain Wink
(12-01-2019, 05:01 PM)Rob Sidhe Wrote: Very nice vocals! At the end of the contest I need to know your vocal track chain Wink

No secrets here. Vocal chain is very simple.

Cytomic "The Glue" compressor at a 4:1 ratio, .3 msec attack and .1 sec release, full wet followed by a Waves API 550B EQ.

Vocal buss has a Voxengo stereo phase coherent graphic EQ for tone shaping (not M/S) followed by a stock PreSonus compressor set for de-essing.

The vocal bus then sends to the stock PreSonus Room Reverb with a 50-50 mix of reverb and room reflections. There is a 15.4 ms pre-delay with a reverb time of 1.61 secs in a medium hall. This is followed by a stock PreSonus Pro EQ for tone shaping of the reverb.

That's the jist of it. Some details have been left out to protect the innocent! Tongue

Note: Cytomic's "The Glue" compressor plugin is probably the best plugin purchase I have ever made and the pointer came from Mike Senior of Cambridge.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(12-01-2019, 05:15 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:
(12-01-2019, 05:01 PM)Rob Sidhe Wrote: Very nice vocals! At the end of the contest I need to know your vocal track chain Wink

No secrets here. Vocal chain is very simple.

Cytomic "The Glue" compressor at a 4:1 ratio, .3 msec attack and .1 sec release, full wet followed by a Waves API 550B EQ.

Vocal buss has a Voxengo stereo phase coherent graphic EQ for tone shaping (not M/S) followed by a stock PreSonus compressor set for de-essing.

The vocal bus then sends to the stock PreSonus Room Reverb with a 50-50 mix of reverb and room reflections. There is a 15.4 ms pre-delay with a reverb time of 1.61 secs in a medium hall. This is followed by a stock PreSonus Pro EQ for tone shaping of the reverb.

That's the jist of it. Some details have been left out to protect the innocent! Tongue

Note: Cytomic's "The Glue" compressor plugin is probably the best plugin purchase I have ever made and the pointer came from Mike Senior of Cambridge.

Thank you man! For me the vocal track is the hardest to make sound good in this song, there's a lot of energy in the lows (maybe proximity effect) and a lot of sibilance too, but I really like the performance and the timbre of his voice, so I'm not at all happy with my result!

"The Glue" is the first plugin I buyed... after using only stock Reaper plugins in the beginning and from the moment I discovered the wonderfull world of beautiful and expensive plugins! Rolleyes

very nice mix! Sounds "easy", pleasant to the ear... nice reverb sound too, what did you use for reverb/ambiance?
cons: Bass seems a tiny bit too "radiant" meaning, a bit too upfront or the very low freqs are more upfront. The whistle part at the end there is too loud IMO. Still a good mix though! Smile